Frosting Woes

Baking By olliegrl Updated 22 May 2012 , 4:38am by olliegrl

olliegrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olliegrl Posted 21 May 2012 , 1:01am
post #1 of 10

I've made countless frostings based on several ingredients (egg whites, cream cheese, butter..) but i can NEVER seem to get it to stay stiff enough to frost the cupcakes (yes they're cooled) and have it stay the way i did it.

what i'm talking about it putting the frosting in a pastry bag and using it to make a "typical" cupcake topper.

I follow the recipes to the letter now to make sure i'm doing everything right and it's still not working. help!

9 replies
Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 21 May 2012 , 2:10am
post #2 of 10

How long are you mixing the frosting?

Maybe add more powdered sugar. If mine isn't stiff enough, I add powdered sugar and that helps.

What about your butter? Is it too soft? Leave it out for a bit but you don't want it to be too soft.

olliegrl Posted 21 May 2012 , 2:44am
post #3 of 10

hmm noted..my kitchen gets really hot when i bake so the butter might be past the "acceptable" point by then...i'm reluctant to add powdered sugar cause i find it makes my frosting taste funny if i add too much. but thanks for the advice!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 May 2012 , 3:52am
post #4 of 10

I can't address recipes that use egg whites, but if it is a shortening/butter/powdered sugar icing, if it is too soft you either need less liquid or more powdered sugar. The amount can vary depending on humidity, temp, etc.

olliegrl Posted 21 May 2012 , 6:08am
post #5 of 10

i usually only mix for about 30 seconds..or until it's all just blended. should i do it more?

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 May 2012 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 10

More

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 21 May 2012 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 10

Mix longer, add less liquid and more powdered sugar. For American buttercream, that's pretty much the only way to fix this problem.
If you don't want to add more PS, then start with putting in less liquid than the recipe calls for. I never follow a specific recipe for American buttercream, and just add liquid and PS until I get the consistency I want.
If you're making SMBC, you might not be getting your egg whites and sugar to stiff enough peaks before adding the butter...or might not be whipping it enough once the butter has been added.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 21 May 2012 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 10

I often let my butter get very soft, I have found that the sugar mixes better that way. Just me. But I also mix for a long time. I read on this site that if you add your sugar in small increments, beat longer it will take that twang taste away.

When I can't seem to get it right and all the p sugar in the world doesn't help I add one of two things. Either a bit of all purpose flour or cream of tartar.

Either one will help thicken your icing without changing the taste and will help with the crusting.

HTH

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 May 2012 , 4:23pm
post #9 of 10

In most applications, butter performs best between 65˚F and 75˚F (18˚C and 23˚C), often referred to as "room temperature."

If you're making SMBC, here's a good tutorial.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/more-about-swiss-meringue-buttercream-like-my-other-post-wasnt-long-enough-i-had-to-go-write-another-epic-post/

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

olliegrl Posted 22 May 2012 , 4:38am
post #10 of 10

thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%