I Give Up, I Give Up, I Give Up!

Decorating By klamb17 Updated 22 Dec 2012 , 2:56pm by kikiandkyle

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 1:38am
post #31 of 50

I used to do MMF but ever since I tried Michele Fosters,,no more MMF. I LOVE Michele Foster's fondant and it's really not hard to make,,just a little more time consuming, but sooo worth it! It's awesome and all my brides love it! You really need to be accurate with recipe and try it..so worth the time . Promise! You won't go back to MMF unless a client request that kind.
Best of luck!

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 1:46am
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

I used to do MMF but ever since I tried Michele Fosters,,no more MMF. I LOVE Michele Foster's fondant and it's really not hard to make,,just a little more time consuming, but sooo worth it! It's awesome and all my brides love it! You really need to be accurate with recipe and try it..so worth the time . Promise! You won't go back to MMF unless a client request that kind.
Best of luck!

Well said! It's my favorite fondant to use now also. I haven't tried any of her flavor variations yet though, but I plan to. Her book, The Sugar Fix (less than 4.00 to download to your kindle/ipad) is awesome! thumbs_up.gif

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 2:37am
post #33 of 50

The smell of satin ice made me so nauseous I threw it all out!! To me it smells and tastes plastic like

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 5:34am
post #34 of 50

May I ask if you could provide the specific link to the Michelle Foster updated fondant recipe? I've been on CC for 2 years and danged if I can figure out how to find ANYTHING on the recipe thingee.

thanks.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 10:22am
post #35 of 50

Apti, it's in the Most Saved Recipes. Here's the list:

http://cakecentral.com/most-saved-recipes

I also have a difficult time searching for recipes.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 12:01pm
post #36 of 50

I read somewhere that you aren't supposed to use any marshmallow that is "jet puffed" as it won't work for MMF. I never have any problems with Macsmons MMF. It's easy, cheap, delicious and no bubbles, lumps or drying out.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 2:40pm
post #37 of 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Apti, it's in the Most Saved Recipes. Here's the list:

http://cakecentral.com/most-saved-recipes

I also have a difficult time searching for recipes.

Thank you.

earlydawn20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
earlydawn20 Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 6:17pm
post #38 of 50

I find that how i kneed the fondant to get all the bubbles out makes it better.

I used to do pottery and we had to get all the air out of the clay. I find that if i kneed the mmf in the bulls head form it works best.

I sometimes get a grany texture. So I make sure i add the flavor into my mm.

Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 4:28am
post #39 of 50

I love rose levenbaum's fondant recipes from the cake bible

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 7:12am
post #40 of 50

For some reason the link to the MFF recipe is not working for me. Which of the MFFs are you talking about? The one that asks for 3 T of the ingredients or the one that asks for 2 T?

For those who have tried both, how do the two compare?

I've tried the one that asks for 2T, it was good. Once I had some Rhonda's MMF and a little of that MFF left over. Mixed both and the result was EXCELLENCE. Not sure if that was a one-time deal since I've not tried it again. Anyone else tried combining MMF and MFF?

Yazzoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yazzoo Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 9:26am
post #41 of 50

well you're rude..

why would you say that?

Yazzoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yazzoo Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 9:40am
post #42 of 50

don't give up ! :)

romansfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
romansfamily Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 9:19pm
post #43 of 50

I exclusively use mmf.  16 oz marshmallows, 2tbs water, whole 2lb bag of sugar.   grease hands and counter no rolling out on sugar.

cake-a-holic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-a-holic Posted 7 Dec 2012 , 10:37pm
post #44 of 50

i use the marshmallow whip and fore-go all the stress of melting them myself and just skip to greasing my workspace with shortening, wash my hands and dry them completely and then dust a generous amount of confec sugar on top of the shortening. the confec should stick to the shortening and you should still have some dusting around. i put 1lb of confec sugar in my KA mixer and using the bread paddle mix in the mmwhip/spread. once it comes to a play dough consistency then i bring it out to the dusted table and then start kneading in the rest of the sugar (1lb confec sugar). once it's all mixed roll into a ball and then wrap in saran wrap and a Ziploc and let it sit in the fridge overnight. the next day it rolls out like a wonder and it's fab every time and I'm told my fondant taste like absolute sugar and they love it. it doesn't have a chemical aftertaste that the others have. 

dont give up. mmf used to be my enemy....now i'm working on making a list of fool-proof scratch cake mixes vs continuing to dr the mixes at the store so i won't have to deal with price changes that often. icon_biggrin.gif

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 7:42pm
post #45 of 50

Hmm sometimes I have problems with mmf too.

Sometimes I get a few of those teeeny tiny air bubbles and it's really odd. Where do they come from? I usually leave mine overnight as well. It's just too sticky when it's warm.

Sometimes I get little yellow hard bits too. What's up with that? I think maybe I leave the marshmallows sitting in the bain marie for too long and bits of it just start to burn? Marshmallows get hard as rocks when they are totally cooked. I find I have this problem if I add just a bit too much water.

I also use generic store brand marshes too! Never considered that would be an issue. I've also used vegan marshmallows, and while the texture is just a bit different, it still works very well!

I just got so used to the mmf texture (stiffer, doesn't stretch very easily) that when I go back to regular fondant it's too slack and I end up tearing it into pieces lol. I've never eaten store bought, it's just way too expensive and hard to find.

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 7:43pm
post #46 of 50

marshmallow whip? Like the fluff in the jars? that would be brilliant.

BomCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BomCakes Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 3:36am
post #47 of 50

Purchase Fondant. There is nothing wrong with it. Many many of the famous Cake makers use Satin Ice is Bronwen Webber's & Marina Sousa's fondant choice.  Duff Goldman uses Fondarific  (which tastes out of this world) etc. It's good enough for them. It may be an initial investment but it just gets built into the price of the cake like everything else and you keep your sanity/save time/get consistency.

There's nothing worse than trying to make Red, Black, Royal Blue MMF... but wait! I have all those colors on my shelf in little satin ice containers already!

LeslieBruckman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeslieBruckman Posted 20 Dec 2012 , 10:32am
post #48 of 50

I have always used Marshmallow fondant and find it to be quick, easy and super cheap... not to mention fantastic tasting.
First off... I recommend The Mat or a sheeter. The Mat is really nice because you use veg shortening instead of confectioners sugar and you don't dry your fondant out.
Second, make sure you are not using the wrong colors. The first few times I made the MMF I had it completely sieze up on me because I was using dropping red color in a pinch. Never, ever, ever. Just like with chocolate, using the wrong colors will stiffen it up and there is no fixing it after that. For deep colors, I use the modeling chocolate mixed with fondant and powdered color technique to avoid problems.

And, lastly... how I make my MMF:

I use the 10 oz package of marshmallows in a well greased bowl, that is microwave safe. I take a cupped hand and a 2 or 3 handfuls of water. Then I microwave it for 30 seconds stirring in between until it's all melted. I add 4 cups of con. sugar and stir in the bowl until it's mostly stirred in. I then grease up the counter and start to kneed it. If it's too wet still, I add handfuls of sugar one at a time and kneed them in. Then grease up well again and give it a few more kneeds.

Oddly enough, I actually like to use it right after making it. I find it just works better that way. I mean, I can use it later, but it's usually absolutely perfect right then, so I make it right as I need it. :)

Hope this helps.

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 22 Dec 2012 , 4:01am
post #49 of 50

APersonally, I love Duffs fondant. I've never had a complaint and it tastes wonderful!!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 22 Dec 2012 , 2:56pm
post #50 of 50

AI always use my Kitchenaid with the dough hook to make MMF, never had an issue with it. Is that an option?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%