I Need Help!!

Decorating By Sweetsandee Updated 22 May 2012 , 1:46am by Sweetsandee

Sweetsandee Posted 20 May 2012 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 7

I have 200 cupcakes and a small fondant covered cake to do for Saturday. This is my first big venue. Can I decorate the cake Thursday and frost cupcakes Friday. How can I keep the fondant from drying out? I'm using bakkels or pettinice. Also does anyone have a wonderful marble cake recipe? Thank you so much.

6 replies
kakeladi Posted 20 May 2012 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 7

Fondant doesn't dry out when there is icing under it like b'cream. Yes, you can make the cake Thursday, but I would suggest waiting until Fri to make the cuppies.

Sweetsandee Posted 20 May 2012 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 7

I did a practice cake with Satin Ice and it cracked on top. Also has anyone one ever used piping gel to adhere fondant pearls to the side of a cake? Many thanks!!

Chellescakes Posted 20 May 2012 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 7

Fondant shouldn't dry out on you , I put some ganache under the fondant on my cupcakes just like I do on my big cakes. I do brush them with a bit of sugar syrup under the ganache and then on top of the ganache to adhere the fondant.

I actually use white and dark choc mudcake swirled together for marble cake. I also use mudcake for my cuppies as it gives you extra time to decorate . My mudcake recipe eats well up to three weeks later . I usually bake on Tuesday for a Saturday wedding for cupcakes I bake wednesday for a Saturday.

ANDaniels Posted 21 May 2012 , 2:50am
post #5 of 7

HIGHLY suggest Dawn's Vanilla butter cake... in the comments she gives directions to make it a marble cake... DELISH!

kakeladi Posted 21 May 2012 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 7

....did a practice cake with Satin Ice and it cracked on top...

It probably wans't the fondant that caused the cracking.
What did you roll it out on - powdered sugar, cornstarch or shortening? If not shortening, that could have caused the fondant to be overly dry.
But still.... most likely you didn't have a solid enough base that the cake was on.
How big was the cake? What did you have it on? For anything over 10" it should be on at least a double thickness of cake boards - prefereably a drum.
The flexing of weak boards & overly dry fondant would cause the cracking.

Sweetsandee Posted 22 May 2012 , 1:46am
post #7 of 7

It's only a 6 inch cake, 3 layers and is on an 8 inch board. I don't think I had the cake covered properly though, or maybe the fondant wasn't thin enough....

Quote by @%username% on %date%