Dense Fluffy Cake Recipe

Baking By KerrieD Updated 21 May 2012 , 4:42am by kellikrause

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 20 May 2012 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 5

I'm looking for a recipe (preferable a doctored mix) that is firm enough for under fondant yet light and flufffy. I tried Bunnywomans recipe which was
cake mix, 4 eggs, 1 cup mild, 1 cup oil. Initally it tasted good but the next day it seemed to get oily - almost like a pound cake which I didn't like the texture.
Thanks!

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 May 2012 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 5

I don't think of dense and fluffy in the same cake. It's usually either one or the other. There is a recipe on here which a lot of people use:

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 21 May 2012 , 3:51am
post #3 of 5

This recipe is wonderful...I have made it many times in the past month using different flavors of cake mixes and puddings. Be sure and take the time to read the many many comments, lots of good info in there....

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/durable-cake-for-3d-and-wedding-cakes

Someone had posted a high altitude version in the comments which is the one I have been using since I'm in Denver and it works perfectly each time. If you need that one please pm me with your email address and I will send that one to you.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 21 May 2012 , 4:15am
post #4 of 5

KerryD, you actually posted a comment on this recipe. Apparently it didn't work for you when you tried it before.

I just made a triple batch tonight using Pillsbury Classic White and white chocolate pudding, again using the high altitude version....I got one 16"x2 layer and one 8" x 2" layer and one 8" x 3" layer. They were all filled to the top of the pan when they were done baking.

Where are you located? You might try the high altitude version and see if it bakes up any better for you. It was posted in the comments by jojojes.

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 21 May 2012 , 4:42am
post #5 of 5

I like the doctored cake mix recipe over the WASC personally, but I too think that dense and fluffy are two totally different cakes so you need to decide what you really want first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%