Improvised Airbrush Colors?

Decorating By frankiekie Updated 21 May 2012 , 3:55am by frankiekie

frankiekie Posted 20 May 2012 , 9:06am
post #1 of 5

Hi! Can I dissolve gel paste food colors in water in place of the liquid airbrush food colors? Has anybody tried doing this? Hoping for your replies. Thanks!

4 replies
Evoir Posted 20 May 2012 , 10:52am
post #2 of 5

Haven't tried it, but I would advise trialing this using clear alcohol, NOT water to thin it!

blissfulbaker Posted 20 May 2012 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 5

I do not own an airbrush but I have taken classes at Wilton and was taught how to use one. I was always told NOT to put regular Americolor or Wilton colors into an airbrush. They can clog it. Colors had to be made specifically for an airbrush.

HamSquad Posted 20 May 2012 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiekie

Hi! Can I dissolve gel paste food colors in water in place of the liquid airbrush food colors? Has anybody tried doing this? Hoping for your replies. Thanks!

I had a last minute cake to do for my daughter's High School Class 2 weeks ago. At first I was using Wilton Spray Mist - green. When I went to use it, it just splattered color, couldn't get it to work, so I took some lemon extract and Wilton leaf green gel, mixed both in one of my Paasche airbrush bottles. I was desperate. I was amazed that it worked. I read this some where here on CC. I have a beginner Paasche Airbrush (Hob. Lob). I'm not advanced with airbrushing, but here is the picture of the cake:   
  http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2318522/luau-preschool-graduation

I don't know about water, at least with the lemon extract has alcohol, so it dried real quick, matter of fact my daughter's instructor told me everyone was raving about the cake. I was scared the flavor of lemon extract would be overwhelming on the frosting. It wasn't. HTH

frankiekie Posted 21 May 2012 , 3:55am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%