Lemon Frosting Recipe

Baking By KayMc Updated 25 Jun 2012 , 2:47am by ibeeflower

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 20 May 2012 , 12:16am
post #1 of 18

This probably sounds crazy, but at the ripe old age of 57, I had my first lemon cupcake this week. It was a delightful lemon cake with lemon frosting. It's inspired me, and I've decided to make lemon cupcakes for an upcoming family picnic in June. Does anyone have a tried and true lemon frosting recipe to recommend? Thanks in advance....Kay

17 replies
mckaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mckaren Posted 20 May 2012 , 8:07am
post #2 of 18

I add lemon curd to bc. I don't measure quantities, just add a tailspin to the bc and taste - then keep adding and tasting.

shellw72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellw72 Posted 20 May 2012 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 18

I usually make mine with about 4 - 5 teaspoons of lemon curd and the juice of one lemon added to my base buttercream recipe which makes about 450 grams. This gives a very tangy flavour so adjust to taste icon_smile.gif

KayMc Posted 22 May 2012 , 3:46am
post #4 of 18

OK, not to be dense, but...... by lemon curd, you mean the pudding-like lemon filling I've put in meringue cups? That lemon curd? I'm surprised that gives enough flavor. So, if what you both said, I could add some lemon curd, juice from a lemon or two, and then...........possibly some lemoncello? (the lemon liquor). What do you think?

shellw72 Posted 22 May 2012 , 5:09am
post #5 of 18

Lemon curd, or lemon butter (as my mum tells me is was known as before it was "trendy") is often used for fillings in desserts. While that amount of lemon curd doesn't seem a lot, with the lemon juice it will definitely give you a "suck your cheeks in tangy" lemon buttercream. I just make mine with 200grams butter and 600grams sifted icing/powdered sugar with the curd and juiced added and beated until smooth. Not sure about needing the lemoncello.....I'm not a big fan of liqours but try it out and see. You can also check out my lemon curd cupcakes in my gallery - I used just this icing on these cakes. Good luck - I'm off to make some of these now icon_razz.gif

KayMc Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 3:14am
post #6 of 18

Oh man...I wish I had a lemon cupcake with lemon frosting RIGHT NOW.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 3:33am
post #7 of 18

I add lemon curd to smbc . imbc ,etc. Delicious!!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 7:02am
post #8 of 18

My base is IMBC, but I have added copious amounts of curd and extract, other times it's lots of zest and organic extract. I've added Limoncello to both the cake and to glazes. I haven't added it to IMBC, but I add every other liqueur and they are all great.

My suggestion is to try them all... a little curd, zest, extract, and liqueur. this sounds like one of my recipes. You really can't go wrong with one or all of these ingredients.

I shy away from adding straight juice to my buttercreams. It's not enough flavor in relationship to the amount of liquid. You could reduce the juice and get concentrated flavor.

KayMc Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 18

Well, I'm bummed. I just made the moist lemon cake that got really great reviews on this message board. I added lemon zest to the batter (not in the recipe), and extra pure lemon extract. I can taste NO lemon in these cupcakes. Hoping the frosting will at least make it taste SOME lemon-y..

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 9:19pm
post #10 of 18

Lemon extract has this nasty way of sneaking up on you.

When I was a teenager, I added some to buttercream icing...couldn't taste it and added some more.. couldn't taste it...gave one of the two cakes to the next door neighbour.

The next day my mother asked me how the H$$$ I measured because the lemon was overpowering. LOL

Now I use lemon curd (homemade, google recipes aplenty) because it is made with a lot of juice and cooking the zest releases its oils. I also keep the Boyajian pure oils (lime, lemon, orange) on hand--premixed with dried lemon peel for cakes.

You can dose your current cupcakes by making a lemon syrup with just lemon juice and sugar (equal volumes of each). Poke some holes in your cupcakes and drizze this in before you ice.

dandymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandymom Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 18

Lemon curd goes really well with IMBC. Just add it in by the tablespoon until its just right. If you can get your hands on so Meyer Lemons, even better! If you do make your own lemon curd, I recommend that you pulse the fresh lemon zest with the sugar in a food processor to release the oil. So fragrant, so good!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 12:36am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayMc

Well, I'm bummed. I just made the moist lemon cake that got really great reviews on this message board. I added lemon zest to the batter (not in the recipe), and extra pure lemon extract. I can taste NO lemon in these cupcakes. Hoping the frosting will at least make it taste SOME lemon-y..

I find that the lemony taste of a cake can diminish with baking. A really good way to get the flavor back in is to make a simple syrup of lemon juice and sugar, and infuse the finished cake with it, as in this Ina Garten recipe. I looooove this recipe. The glaze is plenty, they do not require a frosting, IMHO. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-cake-recipe/index.html

KayMc Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 1:32am
post #13 of 18

Thank you all SO MUCH! I should have thought of that lemon simple syrup, and did not. I will definitely do that! Thank you, thank you!!! I was actually thinking of making some curd, and filling the cupcakes, too. And, that way I'll have some extra curd for the frosting. Sounds like a plan!!

Thank you again, for coming to my rescue!!!

shellw72 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 2:07pm
post #14 of 18

You can also place a teaspoonful of lemon curd on top of your batter and swirl it in with a toothpick before baking for a bit of extra flavour. Google the recipe from Brown Eyed Baker - that's the one I've tweaked a bit and everyone always comments on how much lemon flavour both the cakes and frosting have. Although I use my other buttercream recipe posted earlier thumbs_up.gif

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 2:45pm
post #15 of 18

I made from Miette's book the buttercream and add the amount specified of the lemon curd to have lemon buttercream. I highly recommend the recipe. It have couple of steps but its worth the time. You will end with a soft, silky and luscious spectacular frosting. I brush & poke my cupcakes with the lemon syrup, made a hole and put a tbsp. or so of the lemon curd, then the frosting and its just ... heavenly icon_smile.gif) I will pm you the recipe.

dandymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandymom Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 3:39pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsgoodies

I made from Miette's book the buttercream and add the amount specified of the lemon curd to have lemon buttercream. I highly recommend the recipe. It have couple of steps but its worth the time. You will end with a soft, silky and luscious spectacular frosting. I brush & poke my cupcakes with the lemon syrup, made a hole and put a tbsp. or so of the lemon curd, then the frosting and its just ... heavenly icon_smile.gif) I will pm you the recipe.

YES! Miette's is my go-to IMBC recipe. I could eat by the spoonful! I made it with meyer lemon curd and it was so so so good!

momsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsgoodies Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 3:58pm
post #17 of 18

dandymom: I believe you. I bring some cupcakes using the miette's hot milk cake, fill them with the lemon curd and used de lemon buttercream frosting. I finished them at my friend's house and there was some buttercream left. My friend asked for the recipe, keep the frosting left and call me the day after to let me know that she ate all by the spoonful like you!!! Seems its irresistible icon_smile.gif)

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 2:47am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsgoodies

Hi,

can you send it to me as well? My brother in law requested a lemon cake for his birthday in a few days and I've never made a lemon buttercream before. I would appreciate it so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%