Make Marshmallows From Scratch

Baking By mahlmann Updated 21 May 2012 , 4:52am by mahlmann

mahlmann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahlmann Posted 19 May 2012 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 11

Hi - I have what is really a multi-part question. I am working on a cake for some kids who have a severely restricted diet due to ADHD. I cannot use anything that has cornstarch as an ingredient and not really any artificial colors or preservitieves. Does anyone have a recipe to make their own marshmallows that I can in turn use to make marshmallow fondant that does not require cornstarch? I can probably just use powdered sugar to roll out the fondant instead of my normal cornstarch.

Thanks!
Michelle

10 replies
kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 19 May 2012 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 11

Years ago I took a candy making class and we made marshmallows, among other candies. I still have the cookbook that we got the recipes from. I lost my original copy and was very disappointed because I didn't think I would be able to replace it since I had taken the class so long ago. I was thrilled when I found I could still get it. In fact I have recently seen the same cookbook for sale (Country Kitchen catalog) so I know it is still available. It is called "Ideals Candy Cookbook" by Mildred Brand. It has a picture of chocolate disks in a jar, with peanut brittle, fudge, and other candies on the cover. The ISBN is 0-89542-615-3.

This book has two recipes for Marshmallows, one cook and one no-cook. I will give you both if you give PM your email. Neither of them calls for cornstarch.

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 19 May 2012 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 11

Why not just make the fondant from scratch. It seems like a lot of extra work to me.

mahlmann Posted 19 May 2012 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 11

I want to make the fondant from scratch - the only problem is I cannot find commercially made marshmallows that do not have corn starch in the ingredient list. I figure if I can find a home made marshmallow recipe without corn starch I can get around the problem.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 May 2012 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 11

I use Alton Brown's. I looked at the recipe. You could try it with just powdered sugar, but, I know nothing of the link between cornstarch and ADHD, but marshmallows usually have corn syrup. So is it the corn?

I am adding the real marsh mallows to my historic candy museum menu, but the new marshmallows came about because of these newer products like cornstarch and corn syrup. I am sure the original marsh mallow will not make fondant.

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 19 May 2012 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 11

Just so you know, powdered sugar has a little cornstarch in it.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 May 2012 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 11

Right, powdered sugar does. When I make macarons, I get powdered sugar from the health food store with tapioca starch.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 May 2012 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 11

What Kaykaymay means is that you can make regular fondant from scratch, not marshmallow fondant, and that way you bypass the marshmallow and cornstarch part. This is not the one I make but everyone swears by it.

http://cakecentral.com/recipe/michele-fosters-fondant

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 May 2012 , 4:57pm
post #9 of 11

Forgot to say that SCP makes a good point. If they can't eat cornstarch, is it the corn? Because anything you make, be it marshmallows for your MMF or regular fondant will have corn syrup in it.

I'm looking for my recipe because mine is made with glucose, not corn syrup. I haven't made it for a while, since I bought all kinds of fondants to see which ones I preferred.

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 20 May 2012 , 5:14pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

Forgot to say that SCP makes a good point. If they can't eat cornstarch, is it the corn? Because anything you make, be it marshmallows for your MMF or regular fondant will have corn syrup in it.

I'm looking for my recipe because mine is made with glucose, not corn syrup. I haven't made it for a while, since I bought all kinds of fondants to see which ones I preferred.

If you see for example Wilton Glucose, the only ingredient is corn syrup. I've got another local brand and checked what the ingredients are, the first one is glucose syrup 38 DE (traditional glucose syrup with Dextrose Equivalent - and 80% dry matter made from hydrolyzing corn). Don't know if there is any kind of liquid glucose that is not made of corn, I'd like to know myself.

mahlmann Posted 21 May 2012 , 4:52am
post #11 of 11

Wow-thanks for all of the information! I really appreciate it! To make this happen it seems like I am going to be using lots of substitutions and creativity! Thanks for all of your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%