Splotchy Colored Frosting

Decorating By abchambers Updated 19 May 2012 , 8:30pm by abchambers

abchambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abchambers Posted 19 May 2012 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 7

Need some help. It seems that everytime I frost a cake using a colored BC, it turns out really splotchy instead of one consistent color (I've attached a picture). How do I fix this??
LL

6 replies
sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 19 May 2012 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 7

A few questions. a) are you spraying lightly with water or dipping your knife in hot water to smooth out the frosting? That water could be causing spots with colour.

b) Are you handmixing the frosting when you colour??? Try low speed with a mixer. Also do you let deeper colours sit for a day and then frost? I would remix with mixer to blend colour thoroughly then frost.

does any of this help???

ps : are you using gel/powder or water base colours??

abchambers Posted 19 May 2012 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 7

Not using any water when I smooth. I blend the color with a mixer. I don't ever let it sit for more than 10-15 min so maybe thats the problem?

Also, I freeze each layer I frost (crumb coat, stick in freezer for 10 min, another coat, sit in freezer for 10 min, then final coat, let it sit out at room temp). Could freezing the frosting layer under it make this happen?

abchambers Posted 19 May 2012 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 7

Oh, and I use gel based color. The green happens to be Wilton, but the Americolor did the same to me.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 May 2012 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 7

.......freeze each layer I frost (crumb coat, stick in freezer for 10 min, another coat, sit in freezer for 10 min, then final coat, let it sit out at room temp). Could freezing the frosting layer under it make this happen? .....

My 1st thought was the same as sewsgarqueeen - that you're smoothing the icng w/a wet spatula...
There is NO need to fz/chill your cakes between coatings of icing icon_smile.gif I think that might be contirbuting to your problem. A crumbcoat should dry to the touch at room temp within 5 minutes. If it doesn't your not using the right recipeicon_sad.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 19 May 2012 , 5:44pm
post #6 of 7

I don't frost my cakes frozen. I tried it and my frosting would bubble or slide down the side of my cakes. The condensation as the frosting thaws on dark cakes can cause the frosting to discolor. I do make one exception and partially freeze(chill well) my Tres Leches cakes to make it easier to fill and stack. What kind of shortening are you using? If you are using Crisco colors don't mix well and tend to separate especially on dark colors. I prefer Hi ratio but if I run out I will use a store brand shortening that still contains trans fat. Crisco says you can add a little flour to your butter cream to help fix the problem but flour in a non cooked butter cream just doesn't sound appetizing to me.

abchambers Posted 19 May 2012 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 7

I do use a high ratio shortening. I'm going to assume the freezing has something to do with it. Next cake I'll test it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%