Formynana Posted 18 May 2012 , 3:41pm
post #1 of

I was thinking of trying Kool-Aid since they keep coming out with new flavors and I was wondering if anyone has ever added it powdered from the envelopes to flavor buttercream frosting? With all the ps in the frosting I thought it would sweeten enough and work well, especially since kids love it and the flavors would probably be a hit on cupcakes ! Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
pettycakes Posted 18 May 2012 , 3:58pm
post #2 of

I agree the flavors would be a hit with the kids. I just wonder if it would leave a gritty feeling in the buttercream.

ladij153 Posted 18 May 2012 , 4:10pm
post #3 of

maybe dissolve it in the liquid you are using for the buttercream first?

shawna29xx Posted 18 May 2012 , 4:28pm
post #4 of

i've used smucker's strawberry lemonaid mix to flavor my buttercream in the summer. I sift it with my powder sugar and then let it sit for a day. but in a hurry i would make a thick syrup and flavor it. but care to add it slowly and taste until you get the flavor you like. hope this helps.

unctoothlady Posted 18 May 2012 , 6:36pm
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladij153

maybe dissolve it in the liquid you are using for the buttercream first?

This is what I was thinking too.

unctoothlady Posted 18 May 2012 , 6:37pm
post #6 of

What flavors are you considering? Duncan hines has those new frosting creation packets that you could also buy and add to your buttercream recipe.

ladij153 Posted 18 May 2012 , 6:56pm
post #7 of

I love the new Duncan Hines flavor packets....I add to my own BC and they add great flavor....added the Strawberry Creme to some Fresh Strawberry BC I was making a couple weeks ago and it added a nice boost of flavor...cake was for a benefit and it got rave reviews

lilbitacake Posted 19 May 2012 , 7:33am
post #8 of

All I do is just add the Kool-Aid to my icing as I am making it. You already have the water and it doesn't leave a gritty taste. I use Kool-Aid most of the time, but never on wedding cakes except when you need to make a dark color. You don't have the after taste with just all that gel color. I also marble it into my cake mixes for the kids and kids at heart. They love my so call Kool-Aid cake at work and ask when I'm going to make another one. Lemon lime, grape, and lemon is very tart so don't add that much. I have have even mixed 3 to 4 different flavors in the cake mixes and boy just watch the faces, but they love them. If you have many more questions just ask me.

Formynana Posted 19 May 2012 , 4:09pm
post #9 of

Thank you for all of the ideas. Thanks thumbs_up.gif to lilbitacake for the ideas to add multi flavors I'll give it a try this weekend since the grandkids are coming over !

kakeladi Posted 19 May 2012 , 5:25pm

I have used dry KoolAid for *years* in my icingsicon_smile.gif Not only does it color but it also flavors icings nicely.
I add it when I want red mostly - using black cherry KoolAid.

Just add it - probably not more than a teaspoon per cup of icing - mixed into the sugar. No need to mix w/liquid. In fact unless you heat the liquid to near boiling it really does little good. My icing recipe has no liquid to mix it withicon_smile.gif

lilbitacake Posted 20 May 2012 , 1:58pm

Formynana let me know how the grandkids like the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%