Cottage Food Law Question

Business By DivaJai Updated 18 May 2012 , 11:21pm by DivaJai

DivaJai Posted 18 May 2012 , 6:59am
post #1 of 5

My state allows baking under the cottage food law. I would like to know if anyone knows rather baking under that law allows for selling outside of farmer's markets? In other words would I be able to take custom orders?

4 replies
karateka Posted 18 May 2012 , 11:17am
post #2 of 5

That would depend on your state. Call your state board of agriculture, division of food safety, and ask. If they don't handle it in your state, ask who does.

MimiFix Posted 18 May 2012 , 11:40am
post #3 of 5

Every state has their own regulations. As karateka answered, you need to contact the regulating authority.

vmike9 Posted 18 May 2012 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 5

I called the health department and talked to the health inspector directly. He was happy to explain to me the laws and what I can and can't do. Like the others said, every area is different. He even emailed me extra info that explained in writing what I can and can't do. Don't be afraid to call the health department. At least here, they want to help you

DivaJai Posted 18 May 2012 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the advice icon_smile.gif sure they're closed today but I'll call them Monday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%