1St Attempt At Gumpaste Flowers: Basic Tools? Easy Flowers?

Business By AmbitiousBeginner Updated 17 May 2012 , 9:02pm by AmbitiousBeginner

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 16 May 2012 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 5

So I've been having fun trying out different decorating techniques, and am now excited to try making gumpaste flowers. I don't need to make a specific kind for a cake. I just want to try it out.

Is there a flower(s) that is better to try first? Or is any flower fine as long as I follow directions?

For tools, I don't want to buy the giant Wilton set that comes with tons of stuff esp if I won't use most of it. So should I pick a flower to try and then buy the tools for that flower, or are there a few basic tools that are good for a variety of flowers? I'm thinking of the Wilton gumpaste tools set.

Any advice would be wonderful. I like to try and prevent disasters as much as I can.

Thanks everyone!

4 replies
unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 16 May 2012 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 5

I really do think the Advanced Gumpaste Flowers kit is awesome! Got it with Course 4. Everything you need to make Sweet Peas, Lilys, Gerbera Daisies, Stephanotis flowers are included. The daisies are SUPER easy!

The only thing is, we got our instruction books during the class. So I guess you would have to ask for that or AC Moores sells the books individually.

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 16 May 2012 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 5

I like the Wilton Gumpaste Flowers Set.

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2109-0054

I got mine at Michaels and used a 40% off coupon, so it was around $17.00. It comes with a book to show you how to make lots of different types of flowers with the cutters it comes with. And they FINALLY updated the book too. I had the old book, which had an original copyright of 1984, and all the cake pictures in it were horribly dated! The new book and cutters are much more up to date.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 16 May 2012 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 5

Gum Paste Flower Cutter Set by Wilton.(Globalsugarart.com Product ID#20429)
I've been drooling over this for months now! Only problem is I'd already collected most of the cutters over the years. But really, Get This Set!
Also you should check out the Jaccqueline Butler video on [url]craftsy.com[/url]

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 17 May 2012 , 9:02pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the advice. You convinced me!

I just didn't want to waste money by buying stuff I wouldn't be using -- which I've already done with other tools that looked fun but are still unwrapped!

Now I know what to do with my 40% off coupon!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%