To Defrost Semi-Completed Cakes And Store Where...?

Decorating By kger Updated 16 May 2012 , 2:59am by step0nmi

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 16 May 2012 , 2:16am
post #1 of 3

I have a wedding cake for Friday. Total of 5 cakes with the groom's cake, so I've been working on them a little bit each day and have been storing everything in the freezer (after torting, filling, and crumb-coating).

So tonight I got a little ahead of myself and added another (possibly final) layer of BC on the frozen-ish crumbcoated cakes. I can't really smooth them until they are completely defrosted, so what I'm wondering is how to store them for the next 3 days. One has a cream cheese filling and another has a banana pudding filling, so those are the only 2 that MUST be refrigerated.

At this point, I need to smooth the BC, add pearl shimmer spray to everything. Will do border at venue on assembly. I really need to work on this groom's cake, which is why I wanted to have the wedding cake done so I can deal with the fussy cake on Wed and Thurs nights.

What should be my next steps? Defrost completely, allow condensation to evaporate, then smooth and store? Store at room temp, back in freezer, or in the fridge? Or should I stick everything back in the freezer unsmoothed and then defrost on Thursday and smooth and what-not then?

2 replies
kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 16 May 2012 , 2:31am
post #2 of 3

Anyone? Please? They are defrosting at this very moment.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 May 2012 , 2:59am
post #3 of 3

i think you should definitely allow them to defrost in the fridge before doing anything else to them. once they are unfrozen you might want to take them out and let them sit...but you have two cakes that are perishable so you will need to keep them fridgerated. depending on what you're doing to them the condensation may be inevitable if it's warm out. icon_sad.gif but if you are in AC or it's cool they would probably be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%