Ok To Freeze Cake Layers On Cake Board?

Baking By CakeAwake Updated 18 May 2012 , 7:16pm by unctoothlady

CakeAwake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeAwake Posted 15 May 2012 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 9

I am freezing pillow cake layers for a baby shower that is happening on Friday at noon (first time freezing). Is it ok to freeze them wrapped really well ON the cakeboards? Thank you for your help.

(long time reader, first time post-er)

8 replies
CakeAwake Posted 15 May 2012 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 9

oops, sorry for the caps in the subject line icon_smile.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 May 2012 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 9

I assume you're freezing undecorated cakes...which if that is the case, why would you need boards?

CakeAwake Posted 15 May 2012 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 9

Stability maybe? I'm just afraid of them crumbling somehow. Guess by your reply I don't need them? Did I mention this is my first request for a cake from a friend/co-worker? Before this I only made them and gave to family, friends and took them into work just "for fun". So, I am a little bit nervous about it. Not only will my entire dept of 40 be there but she is also inviting her family so there is alot of potential for future requests.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 15 May 2012 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 9

They shouldn't crumble. Just wrap each tightly with a couple of layers of Saran Wrap. I wouldn't stack them on top of each other in the freezer. Lay them flat. When ready to decorate, take them out and unwrap. You don't necessarily have to let them thaw completely before filling and crumb coating...but if you're going to cover with fondant I would make sure it's at room temp when you do. Better to avoid condensation when possible I would think when it comes to fondant. (I don't cover my cakes with fondant...this is just my opinion on that!) HTH! thumbs_up.gif

CakeAwake Posted 15 May 2012 , 10:28pm
post #6 of 9

It helps a great deal! Thank you very much for the advice and for making my first posting experience a pleasant one. icon_biggrin.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 May 2012 , 2:45am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeAwake

Is it ok to freeze them wrapped really well ON the cakeboards?

Yes, it's okay to freeze on boards. I use boards with all layers for easier handling. You can get away without them for smaller diameter cakes (6" and 8"), but, for larger layers, it's highly recommended to prevent cracking during handling.

When we shipped frozen layers, everything 10" and larger were on corrugated cardboard.

CakeAwake Posted 16 May 2012 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 9

Well, I ended up freezing them without the boards (one was 6" and one was 10") double wrapped in plastic wrap and then placed in ziplock freezer bags. Guess I'll find out how well I did on Thursday when I take them out to thaw-decorate.

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 18 May 2012 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 9

I always freeze on boards. Easier to handle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%