Homemade Glaze (Vodka & Corn Syrup)

Decorating By maureengr Updated 11 Feb 2014 , 9:11am by MBalaska

maureengr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maureengr Posted 13 May 2012 , 11:09am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know, if I use the Homemade glaze (vodka & corn syrup) to glaze my gumpaste decorations, example leaves, do they become sticky over a period of time? I will be making a wedding cake with fall leaves, and the bride wants the leaves to be shiny. If I use the glaze on the leaves, I want to be sure they will not become sticky to the touch. I do have an airbrush, if I used a pearl sheen after I color the leaves with petal dust, would that work? Thanks for all your help.

9 replies
CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 13 May 2012 , 11:27am
post #2 of 10

The glaze does dry it just takes a while. Keep in mind you will probably have to do several coats. I would give yourself several days of drying time to be safe.

I have never airbrushed over it. Theoretically it would work. My only concern would be that the pearl spray might cover the glaze's shiny effect. Do a test in curious now myself!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 13 May 2012 , 11:42am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureengr

Does anyone know, if I use the Homemade glaze (vodka & corn syrup) to glaze my gumpaste decorations, example leaves, do they become sticky over a period of time? I will be making a wedding cake with fall leaves, and the bride wants the leaves to be shiny. If I use the glaze on the leaves, I want to be sure they will not become sticky to the touch. I do have an airbrush, if I used a pearl sheen after I color the leaves with petal dust, would that work? Thanks for all your help.

Can you please tell me the proportions for the corn syrup:vodka? And does it produce a true glossy effect?

CiNoRi Posted 13 May 2012 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 10

Yeah its a 50/50 mix. So 1 part vodka to 1 part corn syrup.
If you erre on the side little pit more vodka it wil dry faster but you might need to do more coats because it tends to bead up. Also keep you fondant clean, you dont want to have an excess of shortening on it or the glaze will bead up more so.

Take a look at the ham cake in my gallery. I sponge painted the glaze on mixed with color. -yes very glossy icon_wink.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 13 May 2012 , 1:40pm
post #5 of 10

Since I can get hardly anything cake related here, vodka and corn syrup is my kind of glaze. The shine keeps about 1-3 weeks, dends on humidity, it tends to stay a bit sticky, but I only use it for small bits, so it doesn't worry me

CiNoRi Posted 13 May 2012 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

Since I can get hardly anything cake related here, vodka and corn syrup is my kind of glaze. The shine keeps about 1-3 weeks, dends on humidity, it tends to stay a bit sticky, but I only use it for small bits, so it doesn't worry me

Agreed humidity can be the big factor in it drying, if you have high humidity in your area bump up the vodka a tiny smidge, you should be fine. Even if it is bit tacky as long as you handle the pieces with a light touch, you shouldn't have any troubles.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 13 May 2012 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks all! I happen to have a snare drum cake coming up and have been investigating glossy finishes other than leaf glaze (yuck!)

Sorry to the OP for the side-tracking!

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 14 May 2012 , 12:01pm
post #8 of 10

To help things from getting sticky due to humidity after the initial drying, I place my items in a tote with a lid and put in a tub of damp rid. I use this in the summer to keep my gumpaste decorations from getting gummy on me.

CiNoRi Posted 14 May 2012 , 12:37pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilabelle

To help things from getting sticky due to humidity after the initial drying, I place my items in a tote with a lid and put in a tub of damp rid. I use this in the summer to keep my gumpaste decorations from getting gummy on me.

Good idea!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 11 Feb 2014 , 9:11am
post #10 of 10

Tried this homemade glaze (half vodka & half corn syrup) on my fondant buttons.  First I put gold dust & vodka on the buttons to make them gold, then after they dried I put the glaze on them.  They looked like they had clear nail polish on them, and were hard to the touch.  However I did make one mistake.  I brushed the gold buttons a little to hard with the brush and it did remove bits of the gold.   They looked pretty cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%