Pop Up Shop - Please Advice?

Business By fcakes Updated 13 May 2012 , 11:07am by fcakes

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 12 May 2012 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 3

Hi!

I just read about some pop up shops for Sprinkles cupcakes and some cake pop businesses too who set up a temp space in a retail store/boutique etc. I was thinking it would be a great idea to replicate the pop up shop concept in my local area here.

I was thinking of approaching florists/retail stores with this concept where I would set up a pop up shop for 2-3 days but I'm not sure how much percent of sales should I give them?

Does anyone have any experience doing this/suggestions for how much cut to give the hosting store? TIA!! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 May 2012 , 6:48am
post #2 of 3

I'm not sure what a pop up shop is but you would need to run it by the HD. I have products in stores and in restaurants. There are requirements when retailing out of a space not licensed for food service. This can usually be fixed by sealing the product. Not just a bow on a bag. Also there are usually labeling requirements and an additional wholesale license.

Be sure you manage your products. If the retail company purchases them, still check that they don't sell past the freshness of the product.

If you want to manage your own, rent a small space and make a cute display. It only needs to be the size of a piece of furniture. I have a small china cabinet getting ready to go into a retail establishment. I will pay rent on the space the china cabinet I place and she will take a %of sales.

So I actually have a restaurant that has a full bakery display of my products for sale to-go, a retail gift store with the china cabinet, and a wholesale company that also has a store where my products are sealed. Any specific questions, pm me.

Edit: All three have different pricing structures.

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 13 May 2012 , 11:07am
post #3 of 3

Yes, I was thinking about specific packaging requirements or maybe even standing at the location and interacting with customers, and selling from a display. I'll send you a PM! Thanks so so much!!! Appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%