Freezing Fondant Covered Cakes???

Decorating By kerrysyummycakes Updated 13 May 2012 , 4:17pm by kerrysyummycakes

kerrysyummycakes Posted 12 May 2012 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 3

Hi guys, I've lurked around the galleries for a little while but this is the first time I've ventured into the forums!
Anyway, a customer collected a cake for her little girls birthday party yesterday, but turns out the child is not very well and they had to cancel the party icon_sad.gif She said she will order another when they have organised a new date, but I just thought it would be better for her not to have to order cake twice! Its a madeira sponge filled with buttercream & jam, iced in white fondant, with fondant figures on the top. Can anyone tell me, is it possible to freeze it? And what is the best way to do it (and defrost it) I did have a quick search online already but the advice is very conflicting!
Thankyou! x

2 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 12 May 2012 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 3

If the figures are easily removed and can be re-placed on the cake later, I'd do that and put them in a cardboard box--not airtight--in a place away from direct light & heat.

If they can't be removed, they should be fine, though.

Place cake in box & wrap box in 2 layers of plastic cling wrap and 1 layer of foil, keeping level at all times.
24hrs. before display, place box--still wrapped--in refrigerator.
If small cake, place on counter--still boxed & wrapped--2 to 4 hrs. before display. If large cake, 4-6 hrs.
Carefully remove wrappings & box.

It works. I've done it.

kerrysyummycakes Posted 13 May 2012 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks very much for replying Rae, I was going to advise her to take it off the drum and remove the figures, they should come off fine and they only took about 20 mins so i dont mind re-making them if necessary, I will tell her it should be ok then, but I'll leave the decision with her of course. Thanks for the advice regarding the cling film / tin foil, very much appreciated! And I'll test the theory myself when i get the chance aswell icon_smile.gif xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%