Help, I Forgot To Defrost!!

Decorating By SweetTater Updated 12 May 2012 , 12:32am by carmijok

SweetTater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTater Posted 11 May 2012 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 3

I have a 9" round cake that I was planning on decorating tonight. I just realize that I forgot to take it out of the freezer this morning. It is defrosting now...but do you think it will be okay to decorate in an hour or so, still partially frozen? I'm icing with buttercream. Help & comments please!!

2 replies
Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 12 May 2012 , 12:09am
post #2 of 3

I haven't done it yet, but I JUST read somewhere here about someone who actually prefers to begin decorating while it's still partially frozen. She said it was easier to work with it and she had no problems. And that it defrosts pretty quickly anyway.

Hope it goes well tonight!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 May 2012 , 12:32am
post #3 of 3

That would be me that said that about decorating a frozen cake.
You should have no problems. I in fact deliver my cakes cold (not frozen) to events early so they can get to room temp by the time it's time to cut. Delivering cold cakes is so much easier. But I use fondant only for decor so my cakes are primarily buttercream.

If you are covering in fondant i would still fill and crumb coat while cold, but might wait a bit before covering with fondant. It would probably be OK, but because I've never done it before I can't say for certain.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%