Burgundy Fondant

Decorating By K_Corona2 Updated 12 May 2012 , 10:27am by soozicake

K_Corona2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K_Corona2 Posted 11 May 2012 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hey all, I need some help. I am trying to make a rich burgundy colored fondant. I'm using Wilton's burgundy gel color, but all I am getting is a dark pink. I feel like no matter how much I add it still isn't the right color. Any suggestions on what I can do? The cake is for my mother-in-law for Mother's Day, so it really needs to be perfect. I'm using a homemade marshmallow fondant. Thanks! icon_sad.gif

3 replies
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 11 May 2012 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 4

I don't know, the one time I needed burgundy I put quite a lot of gel and my flowers had an almost true color. Then I glazed them when they were dry and got a deeper color. I'm guessing you don't have an airbrush? Can you find someone with an airbrush? What about petal dusts? Long shot here, but how about if you mix it with a bit of black? Can you change the color scheme?

K_Corona2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
K_Corona2 Posted 11 May 2012 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 4

No, I don't have an airbrush, nor do I know anyone with one. I'll try adding a little black to it. If that doesn't work, I think I will scrap it and do a different color. The color pallet for the cake is burgundy, ivory, and chocolate, so it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement color.

soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 12 May 2012 , 10:27am
post #4 of 4

Check out Satin Ice color guide. http://satinfinefoods.com/color.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%