Airbrushing & Vodka

Decorating By Crazboutcakes Updated 17 May 2012 , 7:15pm by vgcea

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 11 May 2012 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 6

I am sure that this has been asked before but can't really find an aswer that I am comfortable with and was hoping for some answers. I recieved a Duff's airbrush for christmas last year (DH is a good man ) anyway I have just recently gotten around to using it and am having a few issues with the amicolors and wilton colors not clogging up to sprayer :/ not very happy with that. I have been told that you can use vodka to thin it but have issues with using it, I don't drink and I really don't know the effects that it has from using it! I know that they say it diapates but I am concerned serving cake that I apply color to for children and persons on medication. Is there something else I can use or a site that would help me understand this better? Anything you have would help out. Thanks in advanced.

5 replies
jlb1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlb1125 Posted 17 May 2012 , 2:25am
post #2 of 6

I'd be interested to see if anyone has anything contrary to this but I don't believe you have anything to worry about. Many decorators have been thinning colors for painting and airbrushing for years. Vodka works great for thinning because it doesn't modify your colors to much and the alcohol sprayed or painted on evaporates when it dries. I don't think anyone has to worry about failing a breathalyzer after eating your cake, lol.

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 17 May 2012 , 3:16am
post #3 of 6

You should be fine with vodka. If you are really concerned about it try using lemon juice. I have not tried this method. But I hear it works just as good.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 17 May 2012 , 8:00am
post #4 of 6

Ok its rare but with a severe intolerance to alcohol myself I cant risk the tiniest trace of alcohol and so I dont use vodka just in case anyone else is the same since they may not think alcohol will be used in making a cake and so may not say.
I dont know why but some alcohol from vodka definitely remains in the icing, I notice its effects! Instead, although this will sound like a contradiction- I use pure isopropyl alcohol, I believe this actually evaporates before it has a chance to be absorbed into the icing, Ive eaten cakes airbrushed this way and been fine.
Also as a note, alcohol used in a recipe is not always entirely burned or evaporated off, Im always grateful if someone mentions alcohol is an ingredient and will cooking be enough?
HTH
Gray

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 May 2012 , 8:24am
post #5 of 6

Using air brush colors - made specifically for the airbrush is definitely best.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 17 May 2012 , 7:15pm
post #6 of 6

If you're using gel colors in an airbrush machine you're bound to have issues with it. I would just pony up the cash and invest in airbrush colors. The last thing you want is to mess up your long term investment and have to buy a new airbrush/replacement part and then use what you should have been using in the first place. Do the math.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%