My Fondant Covered Cake Looks Terrible

Decorating By yumalicious Updated 11 May 2012 , 6:45pm by AnnieCahill

yumalicious Posted 11 May 2012 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 3

I'm doing my first topsy turvy cake for a wedding....I just covered the largest tier and it shows every bump in the cake. The bride asked me to use apricot jelly instead of buttercream to cover the cake....I think that's part of the reason because there's not any buttercream to help hide "flaws". Do I add another layer of fondant on top of the first or what? Or just continue on and hope the bride likes it?

2 replies
cubbycakes Posted 11 May 2012 , 6:30pm
post #2 of 3

Did you use a jelly with chunks of apricot in it or the stuff without the chunks? I haven't put fondant on anything other than buttercream. If you cover in another layer of fondant there is no guarantee its going to smooth the cake any and you are going to have alot of fondant on that cake. I would pull it off and start again, pull the apricot chunks off if that's the problem and roll the fondant a little thicker.
As decorators we can be overly picky about the finish of a cake, so you need to use your judgement on that...but i would never "just hope" a customer liked a cake if i easnt happy with it....especially a wedding cake! The other solution would be to cover up as much of the flaw as you can with decorations.

AnnieCahill Posted 11 May 2012 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 3

If your jam is chunky, boil it, strain it, and brush it on when it is still liquid. It should only be used to adhere the fondant to the cake. No way would I put on a thick layer of jam (eww?). Peel it off, scrape, and re-do. You could mix some melted jam with some cake scraps, mash it up, and apply it to the outside of the cake as a spackle like Toba Garrett does (this kind of smooths everything out). You could mix in some buttercream into the spackle to make it more palatable. If you don't do something like that you may need to roll your fondant a little thicker so it doesn't show every little bump and bulge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%