Two-Tone Fondant Cake

Decorating By garden_frog Updated 13 May 2012 , 11:37pm by cubbycakes

garden_frog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
garden_frog Posted 10 May 2012 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 7

How do I do two colors of fondant on the same cake? I've got a friend who wants me to do something similar to this one:

http://inspiredbymichelleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/confirmation-first-holy-communion-cake-inspired-by-michelle-cake-designs.jpg

I saw something that said I should cover the cake first in white, then cover in the green, but how would I get the joint to be straight then? Plus, they appear to be the same thickness, so that would shoot that theory.

I'm stumped and can't seem to find any answers.

6 replies
cubbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubbycakes Posted 10 May 2012 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 7

It looks to me like the cake was covered in the pale green fondant and a white stip was simply wrapped over it at the bottom. The darker green 'snake' of fondant was used at the 'join' to soften the edge

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 10 May 2012 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 7

Yep, green first then white on this cake. The snake of fondants is sitting on the lip of the white strip.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 May 2012 , 5:24am
post #4 of 7

ditto

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 11 May 2012 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 7

I'm agreeing with the rest of them. But is it that you want to copy the cake exactly? I try, but I never seem to manage an EXACT duplicate of anything. I'd be well on my way and then I'd start to play with the design and ...like I said, never an EXACT duplicate . What I'm saying is go! play! have fun with it!

garden_frog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
garden_frog Posted 13 May 2012 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 7

If it is a strip, then how would you hide the seam in the back?

cubbycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cubbycakes Posted 13 May 2012 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 7

You can mesh the fondant together as well as you can with water at the seam. If you plan on copying the cake exactly, you can just cover it with a line of the silver balls or stars. Being that its at the back of the cake I wouldnt imagine its a big deal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%