Two-Tone Fondant Cake

Decorating By garden_frog Updated 13 May 2012 , 11:37pm by cubbycakes

garden_frog Posted 10 May 2012 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 7

How do I do two colors of fondant on the same cake? I've got a friend who wants me to do something similar to this one:

I saw something that said I should cover the cake first in white, then cover in the green, but how would I get the joint to be straight then? Plus, they appear to be the same thickness, so that would shoot that theory.

I'm stumped and can't seem to find any answers.

6 replies
cubbycakes Posted 10 May 2012 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 7

It looks to me like the cake was covered in the pale green fondant and a white stip was simply wrapped over it at the bottom. The darker green 'snake' of fondant was used at the 'join' to soften the edge

mcaulir Posted 10 May 2012 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 7

Yep, green first then white on this cake. The snake of fondants is sitting on the lip of the white strip.

KoryAK Posted 11 May 2012 , 5:24am
post #4 of 7

arlenej Posted 11 May 2012 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 7

I'm agreeing with the rest of them. But is it that you want to copy the cake exactly? I try, but I never seem to manage an EXACT duplicate of anything. I'd be well on my way and then I'd start to play with the design and I said, never an EXACT duplicate . What I'm saying is go! play! have fun with it!

garden_frog Posted 13 May 2012 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 7

If it is a strip, then how would you hide the seam in the back?

cubbycakes Posted 13 May 2012 , 11:37pm
post #7 of 7

You can mesh the fondant together as well as you can with water at the seam. If you plan on copying the cake exactly, you can just cover it with a line of the silver balls or stars. Being that its at the back of the cake I wouldnt imagine its a big deal

Quote by @%username% on %date%