Last Minute Cakes

Business By Bean123 Updated 10 May 2012 , 7:34pm by jason_kraft

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 10 May 2012 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 6

when someone orders a last minute cake, do you charge your normal price or a bit extra?
I've been asked to do a bustier cake for tomorrow (about 24hrs notice), would you charge a bit more?

5 replies
arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 10 May 2012 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 6

I'd charge A LOT more!

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 10 May 2012 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 6

I've also never made a bustier...how long will it take? (just trying to figure out what to charge her)

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 10 May 2012 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 6

If someone wants a last minute cake, the most I will do is 48 hr. lead time and it has to be simple and that is IF I even have the time.

That being said, if I would even consider doing a bustier on 24 hr notice, I would probably charge a $50 rush fee. If you don't know how to make a cake like that, you may want to consider declining/insisting on something else. First time making something doesn't always run smoothly.

Whatever you decide, hope it works out well and worth you while.

cakemama2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemama2010 Posted 10 May 2012 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 6

I just took a last minute order for Saturday. I'm not charging any more, but I did tell the customer that it would have to be small and simple...no fondant/gumpaste pieces or extravagant details. She understood and settled on a simple design.

I've done two bustier cakes...both took about 2-3 hours, after baking, to carve, assemble (I used the ball pans for the boobs and an 11x15 that I carved), crumb coat and decorate. It really depends on how elaborate and what you are using (fondant or buttercream).

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 10 May 2012 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 6

We've charged a minimum rush fee of 20% at our discretion (assuming we had availability). We also kept a few basic cakes in the freezer for last-minute orders where we didn't have availability to make a custom cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%