What's The Best Doctored Vanilla Cake Mix Recipe Out There??

Baking By monosylabicgirl Updated 2 Sep 2017 , 5:43pm by kakeladi

monosylabicgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monosylabicgirl Posted 9 May 2012 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 55

Hi everyone! icon_smile.gif

I been baking cupcakes for over a year now and I have yet to find a good, solid vanilla cupcake recipe. I've tried scratch recipes, the vanilla recipe on the swan's cake flour box, and doctored recipes using cake mixes and NOTHING!

After a year, I have also realized that many people like my cupcakes best when i use cake mixes so I'm hoping to find a good doctored recipe using a cake mix.

If y'all know of one, please share!!!

Thanks!!!

54 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 May 2012 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 55
cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 14 May 2012 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 55

I've tried them all too and I like Betty Crocker French vanilla made as directed on box and add two teaspoons of real vanilla. Super simple and super yummy.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 15 May 2012 , 1:37am
post #4 of 55

I vote for Kakeladi's link. I make that with a french vanilla mix and use vanilla bean paste and it gets rave reviews.

BooperBaker78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BooperBaker78 Posted 15 May 2012 , 5:47am
post #5 of 55

Can't believe I am about to do this... lol... I have kept this recipe a secret for many years. But so many of you have been so willing to share your secrets, now its my turn to pay it forward. Not bragging by any means, but my vanilla cake is known to be "the best in town." I have played with this recipe, and finally came up with the perfect vanilla cake!! Makes beautiful cupcakes too!

You will need ;
1 DH French Vanilla cake Mix
2/3 cup of whole milk
2/3 cup of French Vanilla liquid coffee creamer
2 -1/s tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp butter flavoring
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 vanilla premade pudding cup
a pinch of ground ginger
3 large (brown) eggs
1/3 cup oil (I prefer sunflower, but vegetable is good too)

Mix on low for about 30 seconds.
Turn up speed to high for about 2 minutes.
IMPORTANT STEP: Let batter set covered at room temp for 3 minutes.
Do not stir.
Pour batter into treated pans or cupcake liners.
Bake at 350, until golden brown!!

icon_biggrin.gif

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 15 May 2012 , 6:27am
post #6 of 55

Thanks Booper78Baker, I'll give a go!

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 18 May 2012 , 7:17pm
post #7 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooperBaker78

Can't believe I am about to do this... lol... I have kept this recipe a secret for many years. But so many of you have been so willing to share your secrets, now its my turn to pay it forward. Not bragging by any means, but my vanilla cake is known to be "the best in town." I have played with this recipe, and finally came up with the perfect vanilla cake!! Makes beautiful cupcakes too!

You will need ;
1 DH French Vanilla cake Mix
2/3 cup of whole milk
2/3 cup of French Vanilla liquid coffee creamer
2 -1/s tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp butter flavoring
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 vanilla premade pudding cup
a pinch of ground ginger
3 large (brown) eggs
1/3 cup oil (I prefer sunflower, but vegetable is good too)

Mix on low for about 30 seconds.
Turn up speed to high for about 2 minutes.
IMPORTANT STEP: Let batter set covered at room temp for 3 minutes.
Do not stir.
Pour batter into treated pans or cupcake liners.
Bake at 350, until golden brown!!

icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 18 May 2012 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 55

BooperBaker- can you tell me what the apple cider vinegar is for? And can you taste it?

Thanks!

Erin

laurabeth73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurabeth73 Posted 18 May 2012 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 55

BooperBaker78 - Thank you so much for sharing your secret recipe!!!!! Just from reading the ingredients I can understand why your cakes called the best in town!!!! Thanks again!

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 18 May 2012 , 11:37pm
post #10 of 55

I'm sorry. Could you clarify the measurement on the vinegar. Is it 2 to 1/2 tsp. or 2 1/2 tsp. ? I'm not sure what that notation is.

cms2 Posted 26 May 2012 , 10:45pm
post #11 of 55

UPDATE: I tried BooperBaker78's vanilla cake recipe today. It is very good. It is less spongy than a straight cake mix, a tad less moist, and I most likely would have thought it was a scratch cake (which I feel most folks that doctor a cake mix are trying to achieve). I used 2 1/2 tsp of apple cider vinegar.

All in all, I was pretty impressed with it and I've tried vanilla cake in so many ways.Thanks for sharing. thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 May 2012 , 12:10am
post #12 of 55

I'll give you the easiest doctored cake recipe around...it's what the bakery I worked for used for their vanilla cake and it was the most requested cake they had for weddings--and it's the most requested cake I have too.

1 box Betty Crocker French Vanilla cake mix
1/4 tsp cream bouquet

That's it. Just add the cream bouquet to the cake batter and you will not believe the difference. Most people think it's a scratch cake. We always had people asking for the recipe. It's moist and delicious. You don't need much cream bouquet...a little goes a long way. The flavor of the cake reminds me of vanilla wafers.
HTH!

cms2 Posted 27 May 2012 , 12:33am
post #13 of 55

I guess I'll have to try that one now.Which brand of creme bouquet do you use?

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 27 May 2012 , 2:07am
post #14 of 55

Wow thank you for the info

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 27 May 2012 , 2:13am
post #15 of 55

Thanks

kellikrause Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellikrause Posted 27 May 2012 , 2:40am
post #16 of 55

I actually did a test test with about 15 adults using the WASC and the enhanced cake mix recipe and all but one person preferred the enhanced recipe over the WASC. So that is my go to now, it is a lot to add to a cake mix but that's what my people wanted, lol.

carmijok Posted 27 May 2012 , 5:46am
post #17 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms2

I guess I'll have to try that one now.Which brand of creme bouquet do you use?

I've been using CK cream bouquet.

suedepp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suedepp Posted 28 May 2012 , 2:59am
post #18 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

I'll give you the easiest doctored cake recipe around...it's what the bakery I worked for used for their vanilla cake and it was the most requested cake they had for weddings--and it's the most requested cake I have too.

1/4 tsp cream bouquet

Color me dumb, but I have never heard of cream bouquet. Could you tell me what this is?

carmijok Posted 29 May 2012 , 2:09am
post #19 of 55

[/quote]

Color me dumb, but I have never heard of cream bouquet. Could you tell me what this is?[/quote]

It's an extract that has citrus-y notes to it. Just Google it. I buy it at my cake supply store, but before they opened, I had to order it online. Unless you make a ton of cakes, it lasts a long time because you use so little of it. It's great in icings too.

unctoothlady Posted 29 May 2012 , 2:19am
post #20 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

1/4 tsp cream bouquet

That's it. Just add the cream bouquet to the cake batter and you will not believe the difference. Most people think it's a scratch cake. We always had people asking for the recipe. It's moist and delicious. You don't need much cream bouquet...a little goes a long way. The flavor of the cake reminds me of vanilla wafers.
HTH!

I use CK Cream bouquet too. But I add it to the DH Golden Butter mix. Yummo!

cms2 Posted 29 May 2012 , 12:57pm
post #21 of 55

I ordered some CK cream bouquet online and can't wait to try it out. Since it's citrus-y do you still just call the cake vanilla? Just curious.

I took my 2 day old leftover cupcakes from BooperBaker78's recipe that I tried the other day to a picnic and they were still delicious. My neice's boyfriend took one and asked her what kind it was, she said she didn't know what kind, he took one bite and said, "It's amazing, that's what kind it is!" I'd say that's pretty good feedback.

unctoothlady Posted 29 May 2012 , 3:46pm
post #22 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms2

I ordered some CK cream bouquet online and can't wait to try it out. Since it's citrus-y do you still just call the cake vanilla? Just curious.

I took my 2 day old leftover cupcakes from BooperBaker78's recipe that I tried the other day to a picnic and they were still delicious. My neice's boyfriend took one and asked her what kind it was, she said she didn't know what kind, he took one bite and said, "It's amazing, that's what kind it is!" I'd say that's pretty good feedback.

I think it kinda makes the cake taste like lemon. But that's only if you use too much. I personally like it and my clients love it. I use 1tsp per box.

susie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susie1 Posted 29 May 2012 , 8:24pm
post #23 of 55

Thanks so much. I'll need to try these recipies for vanilla cake, they all sound so good.

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 9:39pm
post #24 of 55

Thanks Ladies...I will try to make them both next week

misslele70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misslele70 Posted 2 Jul 2012 , 12:07am
post #25 of 55

Kakeladi's link, the wasc is a wonderful cake or cupcake, it is my most requested cake.

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 7:39am
post #26 of 55

Wow Thanks. Cant wait to give this a try

CCbyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCbyT Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 12:39am
post #27 of 55

I was just wondering, now that the cake mixes are smaller in size, 16.25 oz for DH and 15.25 for BC, are you using the the mixes for the WASC recipe as is or are you adding more mix to make it 18.25 oz.?  Same question for the other recipe as well.

RoxieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoxieCakes Posted 13 Mar 2013 , 6:38pm
post #28 of 55

BooperBaker78 - WOWzers!!  The request I got was for a vanilla/strawberry cake in any combination so decided to give yours a whirl to see if both you and kellikrause could really be right - that this was the best in town and even better than WASC.  You were and she was and your recipe is amazing; thank you for sharing!!  I'm about to fill with the chunky strawberry that I found here on CC but am actually a little sad that it might take away from the awesome vanillaness of the cake. Yumbo for sure!!  Thx again!!

mfillion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfillion Posted 24 Mar 2013 , 7:12pm
post #29 of 55

ABooperbaker, that recipe is amazing, thank you- very moist! Te first time I made this I couldn't find Duncan Hines French vanilla and used white cake mix and it still tasted "box cake" to me. The second time I used Betty Crocker mix as it was the only French vanilla flavor mix I could find and it tastes delicious! No box taste at all, and I will use it forever, very fluffy for sure! I lce how easy it is to mix everything at once too! Highly recommend to anyone lookin for a vanilla cake, if only I could figure out a way to make it scratch!

bnbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bnbmom Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 7:25am
post #30 of 55

A[LIST=1] [*] [*] [*] [/LIST] [quote name="kakeladi" url="/t/743693/whats-the-best-doctored-vanilla-cake-mix-recipe-out-there#post_7288860"]Can't get any better than this[IMG]/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG] : [URL=http://cakecentral.com/recipe/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe]http://cakecentral.com/recipe/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe[/URL][/quote] I cannot wait to try this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%