I So Dislike Fondant Help!

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 9 May 2012 , 6:46pm by carmijok

bostonterrierlady Posted 9 May 2012 , 4:20am
post #1 of 5

I tried to make a graduation cap by using fondant with tylose. I used the upside down petite doll pan. I do not use fondant for covering cakes just for accents. When I get the fondant piece done after having manipulated it has all these little flaws. Of course no one ever notices these things but me. I have to say watchi9ng cake shows and seeing the beautiful work done on here makes me feel the need for perfection. Which takes the fun out of it for me now. I also find it hard to get the colors just right. I used fondx white and mixed my own colors. Just to have that shipped to me was $24.55 for two lbs. I think I will have to make my own from now on. Tell me it get easier. I am a buttercream person. But like to use accents of fondant.

4 replies
princesscris Posted 9 May 2012 , 8:11am
post #2 of 5

Like anything, mastering fondant is just practice. Lots and lots of frustrating practice. Don't be too hard on yourself if things don't turn out perfectly the first time. Given time, they will.

If you don't like fondant then maybe try using modelling chocolate instead... I haven't used it, so I can't give any advice on recipes etc, but I have seen some fabulous projects where it's been used. It seems to be a little more forgiving than fondant...

All the best,

unctoothlady Posted 9 May 2012 , 2:01pm
post #3 of 5

I loved fondx until I mastered making the Michelle Foster's Updated Recipe (in the recipe section).

As the previous poster mentioned, you just have to practice. I didn't become comfortable with fondant until watching some of the sweetwise videos on youtube. I purchased THE MAT as well as some fondx from them. I've been using fondant ever since. It does get easier!

jgifford Posted 9 May 2012 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 5

I prefer to use modeling chocolate to cover cakes because it tastes so much better. It will work for decorations, too, as long as you don't need them too stiff. For things that need to really hold their shape, I'll mix it 50/50 with fondant or gum paste. I've never been able to make mmf, though - it becomes a gooey, sticky mess that ends up all over my kitchen. thumbsdown.gif

The standard recipe for modeling chocolate is 10 oz of candy melts/almond bark/chips and 1/3 cup of corn syrup. To me, this turns out way too soft so I use 2 packages of candy melts or 1 package of almond bark or 1 bag of chips to 1/2 cup of corn syrup.

The thing I like about making modeling chocolate is that you can use the different colored candy melts, so the coloring part isn't such a problem.

It takes a while to get the hang of working with fondant. Don't be so hard on yourself - - every one of us can still see the flaws in every cake we make, no matter how perfect others might think it is. As long as you learn something from every cake that you do, you're making progress. thumbs_up.gif

carmijok Posted 9 May 2012 , 6:46pm
post #5 of 5

If all you are doing is using fondant for decor (like me), then go to Hobby Lobby or Michaels and use a 40% coupon (that you can download online from their sites) and buy the Wilton fondant. I can get 2lbs for about $11. Most people don't eat the decor so I really don't care too much about the taste...although I have tasted it on my cakes before and it's not as bad as everyone says it is.

I've had no problems with coloring it either...and I've used both Wiltons and Americolor gels....I do prefer Americolor BTW.

Use gum paste to make things like graduation caps. They dry fast and hard. I mixed gum paste and fondant to make a giraffe for a baby shower cake and it was wonderfully pliable and smooth...and it dried faster than plain fondant. I HATE using Tylose with fondant. To me it makes the fondant thick and heavy. Wilton's pre-made gum paste is the best to use...and you can use the 40% off coupon for it too!
Check out my photos...I only use buttercream as the base so you'll see all the decor I do with fondant and gum paste. HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%