Whats A Good Filling For Devils Food Cake?

Decorating By tifanny_8 Updated 17 May 2012 , 6:03pm by Raiwoof

tifanny_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tifanny_8 Posted 8 May 2012 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 18

I have a few questions about the cake i'll be making.

I usually just use Ganache for my devils food cake, but with the humidity here in the philippines I'm scared it will actually melt or ooze under the fondant =/

I'm making this 3 tier devils food cake and what is the best filling? I have never tried buttercream, and I want to, whats the best buttercream for humid surroundings?

Its going to be covered in fondant, and its a 14' cake, will it be dense enough for fondant?

17 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 May 2012 , 4:24pm
post #2 of 18

Yes, devil's food is dense enough for fondant. I use ganache, too, and it's at least as hot and humid where I live as it is in the Philippines! A nice chocolate buttercream would be good, too, but you need to make a dam around the edge of your filling with some extra-thick buttercream before you fill the layer, precisely so it won't squish out. By extra-thick, I mean something that has so much PS in it that you can form it with your hands. I generally use Sugar Shack's buttercream recipe (I don't know if there's a chocolate version), but if you want it to resist humidity even more, add a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch to that or any other powdered-sugar buttercream recipe. Another favorite of mine is a peanut butter filling that's in the recipe section here (assuming nobody has any problems with peanuts). It's delicious and complements the chocolate of the cake in a very nice way. If you use it, you'll still need a buttercream dam to keep it from oozing out the sides. Hope this helps some.

Raiwoof Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Raiwoof Posted 8 May 2012 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 18

Strawberry filling! It's what I use in just about all my chocolate cakes!

Marianna46 Posted 8 May 2012 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 18

That's thinking outside the box! How do you make it, Raiwoof?

Raiwoof Posted 8 May 2012 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 18

This is even the better part..I don't. I use Smucker's SImply Fruit (NOT the seedless one). Everyone always raves about the filling!!

Merry2go Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merry2go Posted 8 May 2012 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 18

I've had success with strawberry & raspberry. Traditional combos.

tifanny_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tifanny_8 Posted 8 May 2012 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 18

MArianna Thank You so much!! I am going through with ganache and devils food cake.. I was just nervous because I havent made that big of a scale hehe and Since its a kids birthday party I think I'll skip on the nuts and i'll just put royal icing or extra rolled fondant on the sides so tahe ganache wont squeeze out! Thats an awesome idea icon_biggrin.gif I saw a video of it and i just didnt think about it! and the buttercream I found a few recipes i want to try to crumbcoat the cake..
the humidity is truly a killer when it comes to fondant and even making gumpaste flowers! baah! hahha
Thank You! icon_biggrin.gif

I'll have to try the strawberry filling.. since raspberry here is super expensive and hard to come by.. Thank you for your suggestions! I appreciate it a lot and will surely try to experiment and see what I like best! hehe

goeasycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goeasycakes Posted 9 May 2012 , 12:34am
post #8 of 18

Do the peanut butter or the strawberry preserves need to be refrigerated? I'm going to make a cake on Friday night for a Saturday afternoon party but can't refrigerate it.

Thanks!

myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 9 May 2012 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 18

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't have thought they needed to be refrigerated.. I always store our preserves and peanut butter at room temperature, so I don't see why putting them in a cake would change that icon_smile.gif

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 9 May 2012 , 1:58pm
post #10 of 18

I would think it doesn't require refrigeration. Besides when you buy it, it's not. UNLESS the container says to refrigerate after opening. But still, my jams and jellies I store in the pantry.

Marianna46 Posted 10 May 2012 , 12:26am
post #11 of 18

Raiwoof, thanks for the tip on the Smucker's. I'll be looking out for it, because I'd love to try it.
tiffany_8, I generally don't use a dam for my ganache, but it's the spreadable kind (2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream, by weight). I don't put it on too thick - maybe 1/4 or 3/8 inch tops.
goeasycakes and everybody else who posted about refrigerating the peanut butter filling - I never refrigerate either my peanut butter or the filling I make from it. I also leave my preserves out.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 10 May 2012 , 2:53am
post #12 of 18

For kids, what about a cookies & cream filling?! I've had great success using a cream cheese frosting full of broken oreos - both for kids and even for a kitchen cake at a wedding - I had a lot of adults say it was their favorite!

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 May 2012 , 3:39am
post #13 of 18

I like caramel filling in my devil's food cake.

Marianna46 Posted 10 May 2012 , 7:48am
post #14 of 18

Mmmm, caramel...

shanter Posted 10 May 2012 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 18

Caramel filling AND caramel frosting.

Raiwoof Posted 15 May 2012 , 4:06pm
post #16 of 18

Caramel filling?!?! YUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! Must try!!!

Raiwoof Posted 17 May 2012 , 6:03pm
post #18 of 18

Yummo...thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%