Egg Replacer For Cake Mix

Baking By cakegirl121 Updated 10 May 2012 , 12:45am by Marianna46

cakegirl121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl121 Posted 8 May 2012 , 8:44am
post #1 of 11

I tried a few different egg replacers over the past few weeks that i found on here, from apple sauce, soy milk. baking soda and bananas. All of them failed me. I looked at my Earth Balance butter spread and noticed it had sunflower lecithin. I know that lecithin is a major part of the magic of eggs so i tried it. Adding in two and a half tablespoons of earth balance and two tablespoons of rice milk made the perfect cake. It rose and didn't deflate like some of my other tests. The batter was thicker than a normal egg batter so I filled my cupcake up only half way and they ended up regular size. My daughter has severe egg, dairy and nut allergies and has yet to breakout. I hope this works for others who struggle to find yummy baked treats for their young ones with food allergies.

3 egg Replacer for cake mix
2 1/2 Tablespoons Earth Balance butter spread
2 Tablespoons Rice milk.

Dunkin Hines Chocolate cake mix does not contain eggs or dairy.

10 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 May 2012 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 11

This is very helpful information for anybody who needs to make egg-free cakes. Thanks so much for sharing it!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 May 2012 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 11

FYI, people with nut allergies are at risk to develop cross-sensitivity to sunflower. I have severe allergies to nuts (and eggs)...when I first tried Sunbutter (peanut butter made with sunflowers) I was fine, but the second time I had a minor reaction, and the third time it was more severe.

If you're looking for more safe recipes I recommend the cookbook below, we used it as a starting point for many of the egg-free/dairy-free recipes used in the allergy-friendly bakery I founded (which is based in San Jose).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1569242739/?tag=cakecentral-20

Marianna46 Posted 8 May 2012 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the link, jason_kraft. I just put that on my Amazon wish list for my next order. I don't want to do all non-allergenic or vegan things, but I'd certainly like to have a repertoire of recipes that I can call on when a customer needs them.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 May 2012 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 11

Why don't you just use En-R-gy egg replacer? It's a great product.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 May 2012 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Why don't you just use En-R-gy egg replacer? It's a great product.

Their egg replacer (which is basically potato starch) works great for things like breads and pancakes, but it is not the best product to use on cakes. In our experience a recipe based on the baking soda and vinegar method produced the best texture.

cakegirl121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl121 Posted 8 May 2012 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 11

I was just happy to have found something in my fridge that made the perfect consistency and taste, so i thought i would share. I'd say almost all specialty cookies and cakes that I have purchased for my daughter have had a very "healthy" taste, and are expensive. They are not very good but at least lets her feel like shes eating what her older brothers are eating.

Harlekwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harlekwin Posted 9 May 2012 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 11

I use a cake mix and a can of any soda. Works best with cold soda. Don't add anything else. So moist and yummy.

Marianna46 Posted 10 May 2012 , 12:31am
post #9 of 11

Seriously, Harlekwin? I've got to try that!!!

Harlekwin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harlekwin Posted 10 May 2012 , 12:41am
post #10 of 11

Yep, I like to use Dr. Pepper or some type of cola for chocolate. Sprit for yellow. Sometimes I will use strawberry or orange with a yelllow mix. For cupcakes I go down to 10 oz. because they are so moist they seem to fall apart eaiser if you use a whole can(12oz).I also like that I can devide the cake mix into 4ths and know just how much soda to add when my daughter springs on me last minute that she needs a safe cupcake for school the next day.

Marianna46 Posted 10 May 2012 , 12:45am
post #11 of 11

If I weren't traveling right now, I'd be in the kitchen making test runs, but as soon as I get home, I'm sure gonna get after it! Thanks for the details.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%