Need An Idea To Tie Two Themes Together

Decorating By Crazy4Bay Updated 8 May 2012 , 8:16pm by jgifford

Crazy4Bay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy4Bay Posted 8 May 2012 , 12:32am
post #1 of 7

A friend asked me to make a 2 tier round cake that has both an (a) army theme and (b) harley davidson theme.

I can do a Harley cake. I can do an Army cake. But a Harley Army cake? I'm stymied. I was hoping fro some inspiration in the gallery, but I'm getting a broken link error on it tonight for some reason.

I had thought to cover the tiers in fondant and airbrush them black, then use orange harley accents, but I don't want to just slap the army seal onto it. Ugh. Design is definitely not my strong suit, so if anyone out there has an idea, I would love to hear it! icon_cry.gif

~ Karen

6 replies
CakesbyVandC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyVandC Posted 8 May 2012 , 10:44am
post #2 of 7

Not sure how much detail you want to put into it but a soldier riding a harley, or perhaps do the lower level with black and the harley logos and flames or something. Then the top layer could be camoflage with logo and an M16 shape and tanks etc. Just an idea.

sleaky77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleaky77 Posted 8 May 2012 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 7

I think one layer for each. Maybe a tyre with a Harley logo and and Army helmet on top.

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 8 May 2012 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 7

I had this same problem someone graduated culinary school and loved Harleys. My friend just said combine the two. I did a chefs hat as the top tier and flames as the bottom tier. You do something like that....Maybe flames and Harley logo as the bottom tier and a Army hat (helmet) as the top tier. Good Luck and make sure to post pics.

Crazy4Bay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy4Bay Posted 8 May 2012 , 6:33pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm not very experienced (ie skilled) at making figures - the best i could do is maybe find a pattern/illustration of a Harley and break it down into a 2D-ish design for the black cake on the bottom. I tried to make a fondant/gumpaste bear once and it turned out awful. I really wish I could learn how to make figures!

After watching some youtube videos, I think I could do the top layer in camo fondant with an army logo without too much difficulty.

I guess they don't have to "go" as well as I'd like, as long as I make it the way she wants!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 8 May 2012 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 7

What about doing the outside of the cake in a camo design then on top put the Harley insignia with flames coming out of it. You can go to your local craft store and purchase Duff's or Wilton pre-printed edible sheets, which would make it extra easy.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 8 May 2012 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 7

What about a Harley logo cake in army camo colors?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%