Cascading Petal Cake.

Decorating By Alycee Updated 8 May 2012 , 6:11pm by Marianna46

Alycee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycee Posted 8 May 2012 , 12:21am
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!! So I have to make this wedding cake

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_NHtg5dMkSzk/TK9Y0OFbUhI/AAAAAAAABBY/_oAY6tJotb0/s400/petal+cake.jpg

At the beggining I thought about making a gumpaste rose, and add the cascading petals, but then I saw the pic again and it doesn't look like a rose anymore...

I was thinking of making the center like an anemone flower, and make the petals with a round cutter instead of using the rose petal cutter, so I can get that big wide effect, but I need suggestions and opinions from everyone

Thanxx!!! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 May 2012 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 5

I saw this cake, or one very much like it, yesterday, and I thought it was really lovely. I think you're on the right track starting out with an anemone-like flower and adding petals up and down the cake (wonder what the back looks like - is it petals all over or just up and down the front?). The circle-shaped petals seem like a good idea to me, too. I'd say go for it!

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 8 May 2012 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 5

I just made this cake this weekend! It seems to be a pretty popular choice amongst brides these days icon_smile.gif

I thought the same thing about the flower- At first, I definitely saw it as a rose, but then the more I studied it, it started to look more like a gardenia. So here's what I did...

About a week ahead of time, I made the petals out of gumpate. I made about 50 of them in slightly different shapes and sizes so I would have plenty to choose from when assembling the cake. To make each petal, I rolled the gumpaste out and used a circle cutter to cut them out. Then I used a ball tool to thin the edges about 3/4 of the way around each one. To set them apart from the plain white fondant on the cake, I brushed the petals with Wilton's pearl colored shimmer dust. After covering the cake with fondant and assembling, I used royal icing to attach each petal. As far as the design, I just kind of freehanded it and trying to mimic the picture as much as possible.

I hope this helps! Here's my finished product...
LL

Alycee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycee Posted 8 May 2012 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 5

Oh!! Thank you so much!! Now I'm more confident about what I'm gonna do!!!, it's a great job Thea159, I'll try to post some pics when I'm done with mine!!!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 8 May 2012 , 6:11pm
post #5 of 5

Beautiful job, Thea519! I think yours must have been the cake I saw the other day, because I remember the pinkish tint towards the top and the bottom. I really love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%