A Couple Of Problems For First Time Sheet Cake Maker. Help!

Decorating By PattyDif Updated 7 May 2012 , 7:53pm by kakeladi

PattyDif Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyDif Posted 7 May 2012 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 2

I baked a 12 x 18 sheet cake this morning using the WASC cake recipe. I'm using the timeline of Baking, Cooling, Torting, Wrapping and Freezing, Filling and Crumbcoating, and finally Icing and Decorating.

After baking the cake this morning, I allowed it to cool completely. Then, while transferring it to a cake board while using my large cookie sheet with one side, the cake started cracking. I thought, "Crap!". I needed to tort it so I stuck it in the freezer for about 10 minutes then pulled out to tort. It torted fine without further cracking. Then, I didn't have my leveler at the right level and after torting, the bottom layer is smaller than the top layer.

2 questions:

1) When I take it out of the freezer to crumbcoat, will the crumb coating act as an "adhesive" and keep the cake together from the crack?

2) Since the bottom layer is thinner than the top layer, should I switch the two and make the bottom layer the top layer so the filling wouldn't ooze out since the top layer is heavier?

Any help would be appreciated!

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 May 2012 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 2

......I baked a 12 x 18 sheet cake...using the WASC cake recipe......1) When I take it out of the freezer to crumbcoat, will the crumb coating act as an "adhesive" and keep the cake together from the crack?
It will somewhat. Keeping the cake very cold (but not fzn solid) will also help.

2) Since the bottom layer is thinner than the top layer, should I switch the two and make the bottom layer the top layer so the filling wouldn't ooze out since the top layer is heavier?

No proble m w/turning the cake over (switching the two) so the thinner of the 2 parts is on top, but the difference in weight is very slight and should not cause a problem w/the filling oozing out unless the filling is very soft/thin/liquid-idy icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%