Dents Between Layers

Decorating By CakesbyVandC Updated 7 May 2012 , 10:33am by CakesbyVandC

CakesbyVandC Posted 7 May 2012 , 2:51am
post #1 of 9

Having a problem that I hope someone can help with. I am having a dent or seam showing up on my cakes between the layers. Not something that is happening all the time but often enough I need to resolve it. Seems to be the opposite of icing bulge because it shows up later after the cake has sat.

8 replies
dukeswalker Posted 7 May 2012 , 3:05am
post #2 of 9

hmmm.... I've never had that problem before but what I do is when I'm crumb coating it - I actually start by placing a blob of frosting on the sides of the cake where the layers meat and push/spread the frosting there 1st so that I am sure to fill in any gaps.

CakesbyVandC Posted 7 May 2012 , 3:10am
post #3 of 9

here is an example of what I am referring to. any suggestions
LL

CWR41 Posted 7 May 2012 , 4:55am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakesbyVandC

Seems to be the opposite of icing bulge because it shows up later after the cake has sat.

The bulge shows up later because the cake has settled.

Leah_s wrote her "trick" to solving the bulge by helping the settling process along:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633571&highlight=trick

nicunurse Posted 7 May 2012 , 6:04am
post #5 of 9

I seem to have the same problem as the OP has. I know it isn't a bulge due to settling issue because I fill with a thick dam, place a tile on for at least 3 hours, then place in the fridge overnight. I take the tiers out, trim and crumb coat. Back in the fridge while I roll my fondant out, cover and PRESTO.... there are the visible ridges between tiers. I have even tried spackle and still there they are!! I have Sharon's DVD and follow it to the letter so I'm stumped as well. The only thing I can think is perhaps my fondant is too thin. Any help would also be greatly appreciated!! icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 7 May 2012 , 6:21am
post #6 of 9

I think the issue is the refrigeration. Settling will not occur in the fridge because, well everything is firm. However, as soon as it all comes to room temp things start to move. Why are you putting the cake in the fridge overnight? Generally speaking, refrigeration and cake are not a good combination. If you have a perishable filling, I understand that you have no option, other than use a different filling. Since you can't control what your customer is gong to do, if they don't refrigerate the cake and the filling starts to go off, you have a potentially bad problem. It's sooooo much better to learn to use non-perishable fillings.

nicunurse Posted 7 May 2012 , 6:33am
post #7 of 9

Leah, I usually use non-perishable fillings. Guess I figured if i wasn't going to decorate till the following day, the fridge was the best place for it.. icon_smile.gif I will give it a try leaving it out vs putting in the fridge and see if I get the same results. I sure would like to solve this problem. and you know.... it isn't with every cake, so it makes me wonder if it's a certain recipe that it happens with. I am determined to get to the bottom of this!! icon_biggrin.gif

nicunurse Posted 7 May 2012 , 6:34am
post #8 of 9

Sorry Cakes... not trying to hijack your post icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

CakesbyVandC Posted 7 May 2012 , 10:33am
post #9 of 9

no problem icon_smile.gif Not feeling hijacked. Just coming to terms with what you all are referring to as bulge. I thought you were referring to air bubbles being pressed out in the middle. I will try the tile idea next time and see if that does it for me. Like I said it doesn't show up with all recipes. Perhaps a density issue?
Thanks Leah and others for the responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%