Fondx Who Has Used It?

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 10 May 2012 , 10:57am by nicunurse

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 7 May 2012 , 12:46am
post #1 of 8

I got some in the mail yesterday. I am not using it to cover a cake. Will be using it for accents.
I was thinking I would use some of it to try a fondant covered cake sometime. So I piched a piece off and it had almost no taste at all. Kind of a sweet plastic taste. Have any of you tried it? It is the Virgin White. Do any of you uase this and does it taste funny to you. How does it taste over a buttercream covered cake?

7 replies
PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 7 May 2012 , 1:23am
post #2 of 8

I tried the black, and hated it. It tasted awful, and I found it hard to work with. But bear in mind I am quite new to working with fondant, so someone with more experience most likely wouldn't have had the issues I had! But I found it to have an awful chemical-ish taste.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 7 May 2012 , 1:36am
post #3 of 8

I used sexy pink to make a treasure chest. It worked great, I really liked the way it handled. The problem is it is flavored raspberry which is an artificial flavor and gives off a very sickly sweet smell. I would not use it for a whole cake or buy it for my store again for those reasons.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 May 2012 , 2:12am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

I used sexy pink to make a treasure chest. It worked great, I really liked the way it handled. The problem is it is flavored raspberry which is an artificial flavor and gives off a very sickly sweet smell. I would not use it for a whole cake or buy it for my store again for those reasons.

That's the FondX Elite, not the virgin white regular FondX mentioned by the OP.

Regular FondX is a very mild vanilla flavor. It's designed to allow the buttercream under it to shine through and to not conflict with frosting and cake flavors.

I like FondX. It can be a bit soft, so I sometimes mix it with some Wilton (1/3) and get a really workable, great tasting product.

Rae

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 7 May 2012 , 2:19am
post #5 of 8

That's all I use! I love it...never had an issue. I like it better than satin ice. Like Rae mentioned, if it's too soft just add one Wilton fondant and it will be great to work with

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 7 May 2012 , 2:27am
post #6 of 8

I use FondX Virgin White (NOT Elite) all the time. I don't like the taste of any of the commercially prepared fondants, but this tastes no worse, and no better, than Satin Ice. It performs beautifully and is a delight to work with. It colors very well.

In 2010 at the ICES convention, I purchased quite a bit of the Elite in red and black because it was on killer sale ($5 for 2 lbs.). It was cheaper for them to sell it off than ship it back to the factory. I've used it for accents, but I personally do NOT like the taste or the smell. Blecch! (I donated most of it to our annual Cake Club Raffle.)

For taste alone: MMF. For commercial products that taste and smell great get ChocoPan or the CalJava brand: Sweet Inspirations. They mix chocolate into the fondant. However, ChocoPan and Sweet Inspirations perform differently than FondX.

It all depends on the cost, time involved, product workability, and the specific decorating task.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 10 May 2012 , 7:38am
post #7 of 8

I bought the butter cream flavor. I love working with it.

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 10 May 2012 , 10:57am
post #8 of 8

I was a Fondx virgin until last night!! I used the red to cover a fire truck. In the past, I have used Satin Ice, and Duff's, and both were horrible in my opinion. I loved how the fondx rolled out and I had ample time to work with it. No elephant skin, or tearing. I'm a convert for sure!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%