Please, I Need Help With Gumpaste Rosary Beads

Decorating By Lynne3 Updated 7 May 2012 , 12:16am by Lynne3

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 6 May 2012 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 3

This is not my cake. It's a cake made by a very talented Cake Central member

I am having a problem trying to create a cake similar to the one done by a Cake Central member, CakesByLJ. Her beads seem to be painted in gold luster dust. There is no gold smudge on the bow or cake so I assume she created and painted them ahead of time. yet they are draped around the bow and cake as if they were layed on it in a flexible way.

I love this cake. I need to do a rosary on a bible cake and have the rosary drape on the cake, and then down on to the cake board. I want to make them in gold and have the rosary mold. How do you make and paint the rosary, and drape it while still wet (not hardened gumpaste)?

Please help
Thanks, Lynne
LL

2 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 May 2012 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 3

First, you don't have to use gum paste. Fondant doesn't dry as fast and it would work nicely. If you want to use gum paste go ahead and gold dust. Remember to keep both fondant and gum paste beads under a lite covering like saran wrap to keep from drying out. Yes they might get smudged, but you can always touch up after you put them on the cake.

Lemon extract dries much faster than vodka so I would use that with your gold dust and let them dry just a bit before putting them under cover.

I like to color my fondant/gumpaste a yellow gold first. It's easier to cover with gold and looks less streaky if there's a base color. HTH!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 7 May 2012 , 12:16am
post #3 of 3

Thank you for those suggestions. It makes perfect sense. Extract instead of vodka , and fondant instead of gumpaste.

I think you made my life easier. Thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%