Need Decorating Idea Please!

Decorating By jenscreativity Updated 23 May 2012 , 1:45am by jenscreativity

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 6 May 2012 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I'm doing a groomsmen cake in a shape of a beer bottle like sheet cake formed. So, here is the picture of their favorite brewery, but she wants the bottle to have a lighthouse on label with a couple birds, and thier name with wedding date underneath it.(lighthouse is where they are getting married, that's why), SO how do I incorporate this bottle from the brewery to lighthouse theme? I'm not sure what the best way is to decorate this? And colors? The wedding colors are yellow, navy and silver..so can you help me please. Here is the bottle and btw..they strictly said NO fondanted cake,,but label can be fondant. I think it would look better with fondant label instead of free hand drawing buttercream? OR NO? Idk..please help me..
LL

7 replies
LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 6 May 2012 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 8

I can't enlarge the picture, but it looks like there is a picture
of something in a cirlce above the name. Replace that with a lighthouse, replace writing on either side of picture with the
wedding date and put their names under lighthouse. I would still keep the Westbrook on since it's pretty much the theme. Use their colors in the date, names and lighthouse.

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 6 May 2012 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 8

I have done bottle cakes. They are 4 times higher then they are wide. You would never think it, but it is.
I have attached a possible idea.

I don't know if you want to highlight the lighthouse or the brand of beer. But since it's a grooms cake, I went with the beer
LL

jenscreativity Posted 6 May 2012 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 8

OMGOSH! That image you put on here is amazing! I will definetly incorporate it that then! Thank you SOOO much! Next question is I know when we do free hand writing, with buttercream, it can be squirrely sometimes and not have the perfect lines, so what would you suggest on how to draw or write this? Fondant and draw this with edible marker, OR write with buttercream or something? I know my handwriting is not perfect and so how can I make a solution to that? fondant letters out of gumpaste? IDK,,but I'm still very surprised you posted this image for me! It's amazing!

thank you!

Lynne3 Posted 7 May 2012 , 12:14am
post #5 of 8

I think it depends on the size of the cake.
If it allows, you could break the cake into sections (see photo) and print the design on edible icing sheets.

The bottle has a lot of lettering. But the good part is that it really is sort of 4 or 5 sections that have fairly definate seperations. It really depends on your skill set

You could cut the letters out of fondant or print them om edible paper and place them on a sort of banner

The printed edible sheets are probably the easiest for the lettering if that's available to you.
LL

Lynne3 Posted 7 May 2012 , 12:33am
post #6 of 8

Also, you don't have to complicate it by making the cake in the shape of a bottle. You could do a bottle on a cake (see attached photo from Cake Central Gallery). That way the bottler is smaller and you could do a digital printed image on one icing sheet.

If you need digital art h elp let me know.
LL

jenscreativity Posted 7 May 2012 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 8

Ok, well, the bride specified of cake being shaped into bottle, so I'll stick with shaping into bottle form vs putting on cake. Also, I can put the edible image on by increasing label to size needed, and then maybe free hand draw lighthouse into the wedding colors with birds? Would it look stupid if I do edible image and then free hand drawing above,,or do you think I should do edible all the way around? I need to make sure this looks good for wedding.

You are awesome! Thank you for working with me here! Amazing!

jenscreativity Posted 23 May 2012 , 1:45am
post #8 of 8

Lynn 3,

I"m getting ready to do this cake in a couple days! I printed up this image you had done for me and will take it in to do the edible image. Question I have is , for the coloring of the btl, I was thinking of doing the original brown color as the btl at top of this subject , in pic I posted on here. How would you incorporate the colors on here. Her wedding is navy, yellow, and cream mainly, but I don't HAVE to use those colors..just trying to figure out on how to do colors.

Also, how did you get the btl to look so smoothly with icing? It like has a glossy look to it being only icing. I am going to use the whimiscal bakehouse recipe or the original buttercream, unless you have a recommendation on what icing to use?

sorry for so many questions but want this to be as perfect as I can. Thanks so much!
Jenifer

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%