Who Has A Cricut Cake? How Ofetn Do You Use It?

Decorating By Piink Updated 7 May 2012 , 4:40pm by unctoothlady

Piink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Piink Posted 5 May 2012 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 19

And would you recommend it to anyone? I've been looking into getting one (birthday present!) and would like some opinions on it.

Thanks!

18 replies
bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 5 May 2012 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 19

Hello,, I have one. Got it for an xmas present for myself about 2 years ago. I've used it only one time. I haven't needed to use it. If you are going to buy one try looking for a used one. lots of people have bought one and, like me, never really used it

Piink Posted 5 May 2012 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

Hello,, I have one. Got it for an xmas present for myself about 2 years ago. I've used it only one time. I haven't needed to use it. If you are going to buy one try looking for a used one. lots of people have bought one and, like me, never really used it

I'm definitely going used. Just cannot justify the price if I purchase new! Due to an injury I have very unsteady hands, so writing on cakes is not an easy to accomplish chore. I'm way to shakey. This is the main reason I want one.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 5 May 2012 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 19

I got one for a gift. I do like it but it takes a little time to figure it out. I didn't know at the time that there were other brands can use their computer to get other graphics and would of rather had one like that. So you will have to purchase cartridges or find a friend that scrap books and has one for scrapbooking and share the cartridges. I do like the lettering for sure . I have found 50/50 mix works the best and forget the icing sheets from wilton. Not happy with those at all.
I'm happy with mine .
icon_smile.gif

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 5 May 2012 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 19

I bought one a year ago & still haven't used it, guess I feel a little intimidated by it icon_lol.gif since I hear so many different stories about it. Some say it's too difficult that the fondant or gumpaste stays stuck & others say it's not.

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 5 May 2012 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 19

I go through spurts of using it ,I use it for paper and fondant(not at the same time) icon_wink.gif

vickim6948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickim6948 Posted 6 May 2012 , 3:29am
post #7 of 19

I have used it off and on for a year. I'm not crazy about it. I guess there is a learning curve with it. I found you need to roll everything SUPER thin and then I normally freeze it for a little while. Then bring it out and give it a few minutes then use it. I have had mixed results. When it does work, it is great. I know others who have mastered it and love it. I just need to spend more time on it. I would not waste your money on the premade sheets though. They have never worked out for me. Just my opinion though.

missy2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy2008 Posted 6 May 2012 , 1:54pm
post #8 of 19

I have owned the Cricut Cake for about 2 years. (Michaels clearance so paid $150 for mine) I love it!
I have made sugar cookies, gumpaste shapes, and fondant bands for cakes. The learning curve takes time. And I have learned to practice the things I need in the right climate. (I had practiced cutting fondant bands in cool weather and when I went to do it for a cake in high humidity weather-it didn't work for me. I have since learned how to correct for that problem-adding tylose powder or using a 50/50 mix of fondant to gumpaste.) There are several methods: freezing and then cutting, freezing after cutting, and not freezing at all. I think it matters the humidity levels and the thickness of the product you are cutting. dough vs. fondant vs. gumpaste. Other key issues it to keep the blade area clean clean clean.
It is true that you have to have the cartridges. and they can get expensive. I have other Cricuts for paper scrapbooking, so for me I didn't have to invest in a stockpile of cartridges. You can pick some up on ebay or slowly add carts over time.
bottom line for me: I love my Cricut Cake!!

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 6 May 2012 , 1:59pm
post #9 of 19

I got onand have used it a couple of times, although of all the times I've used it its come out right only twice I think. I cant really afford to buy a load more cartridges at the moment so I dont have a massive variety and like other people said it takes practice to master it (i'm nowhere near there) its one of those things that I always mean to have a play with and get used to it properly and I never seem to get round to it! My problem is that I cant get the fondant/gumpaste to stick that well while its cutting. It seems to be stuck really well, then as soon as the blade goes through it it comes unstuck. I do have to say though I like it in theory if that makes sense. I like it, I just need to learn how to use it before I can get wonderful results from it! icon_smile.gif I paid about £210 for mine in the UK, I saw lots of cheaper ones on ebay though at the time, and mini ones for about $50 I think, I dont know if they are still on there though.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 6 May 2012 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 19

I got one for Christmas two years ago. I've pulled it out a few times to try to figure out how to use it, without much luck. I'm not a very mechanically inclinded person, though. It's still sitting in my closet.

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 6 May 2012 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 19

Got one last year when cricutmachine.com had them for $49 bucks! Yes 4-9! I didn't want to pass this offer up so I got it. It sat for several months before I used it. But I LOVE the thing! There is a learning curve but once you get it, it's awesome!

akaivyleaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akaivyleaf Posted 7 May 2012 , 2:22am
post #12 of 19

I recently purchased the Cake Mini and I'm very happy with it. 15 minutes after plugging it in, I was making shapes and characters. I did join a scrapbooking group so that I could learn more. The cartridges are interchangeable and you can go on line to the Cricut site and plug your machine to your computer to get more designs. I am looking on ebay to purchase the actual Cake - I would like a bigger mat surface.

I plan on never handwriting on a cake again. My penmanship has suffered over the years.

CakesbyVandC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyVandC Posted 7 May 2012 , 2:29am
post #13 of 19

We have used ours quite a bit. Like it. Agree with the others though that the sugar sheets are not the way to go. Have found them on ebay with cartridges for 125 or less. The fonts are great. The images sometimes leave a lot to be desired. Have about 20 cartridges from different places. Tend to just stick with the fonts. Worth buying used or ebay though
Good luck

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 7 May 2012 , 10:57am
post #14 of 19

Does anyone have an opinion on the regular vs the mini? The website I saw just says it takes up less space. But does it effect the size of objects you can cut?

Beansss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beansss Posted 7 May 2012 , 12:55pm
post #15 of 19

I have one and found trying to cut the fondant/gumpaste really frustrating. I have since bought the paper cutting mats and paper cutting blade and use it cut designs out of cardstock. Then I use the cardstock as a kind of a stencil to handcut the gumpaste. It works well for me.

Also, I don't use the cricut cartridges. I bought Sure Cuts a Lot software and can create my own designs to cut out or even find free svg files from the internet. HTH

Piink Posted 7 May 2012 , 1:18pm
post #16 of 19

I found one on craigslist for $135 which included the full size machine, 3 carts, some tools, a cutting mat, and a pack of frosting sheets. I dislike the taste of the frosting sheets!! Made me gag! lol

I played with it all day yesterday. I've been looking for ways to make my own frosting sheets. I think I'm going to try a 50/50 mix of fondant & gumpaste.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 7 May 2012 , 1:54pm
post #17 of 19

I have one and I use it all the time, but I got mine when you could still buy Sure Cuts a Lot. If I had to buy cartridges I wouldn't use it near as much. There definitely is a learning curve to using the machine. I have found that modeling chocolate or Fondarific cut the best, especially after a 5 minute trip in the freezer for it to firm up. Regular fondant is just too soft and stretchy to cut properly.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2012 , 2:23pm
post #18 of 19

The premium frosting sheets from icingimages work great.

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 7 May 2012 , 4:40pm
post #19 of 19

Freezing your fondant after you roll it out onto the mat works great! Cleaner cuts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%