How Much Should I Charge?

Decorating By amandamcc Updated 4 May 2012 , 10:36pm by amandamcc

amandamcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandamcc Posted 4 May 2012 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 5

First let me say I'm a cake popper not so much a cake maker...a client asked me to make both for her daughters bday and I'm stumped on what to charge for the cake. She wants a 2 tier cake to feed 15 people...this is where I'm confused. What would you charge for something like this? I think I'm going to have to use a 6 inch for the top and 8 inch for the bottom...thoughts? suggestions?[/img]

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 May 2012 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 5

How much would the ingredients cost for the cake, how many hours will it take for prep, baking, decorating, packaging and cleanup, and how much overhead do you have?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 May 2012 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandamcc

She wants a 2 tier cake to feed 15 people...

A 6" round serves 12 by itself... add a 4" round for an additional 6 servings.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 May 2012 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 5

With a 6" and an 8" you're at 36 servings, and 4" pans are not commonly used. The client needs to understand that if she wants 2 tiers, she'll be paying for 36 servings.

What you charge per serving depends largely on your costs and your market. You can read the article in my signature for more information.

Personally, I would charge $3.50 per serving for a 2-tier in buttercream, and $4.50 per serving if it were in fondant.

amandamcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandamcc Posted 4 May 2012 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, I gave her a price and I'm pretty sure I wont be hearing back from her...I think it was the word "inexpensive" in her previous email that tipped me off. I don't think people understand or value the artistry and time that goes into cake decorating, and if I drop the price to meet her budget then I feel like I'm devalue-ing the product for everyone else in the industry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%