What Do I Make These Black Curlies Out Of?

Decorating By CakeItOrLeaveItHon Updated 4 May 2012 , 3:01pm by CakeItOrLeaveItHon

CakeItOrLeaveItHon Posted 4 May 2012 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 6

Good morning! I need some opinions. I'm making this cake for a wedding tomorrow and I can't figure out what to use for the curly black things. The bride bought some artificial flowers to use instead of these gumpaste ones, and I bought white wires to make the white curly things. But I can't figure out what material to use for the black ones. They aren't wires, because they are wider at the base. Does anyone have any ideas of what they are or what I could use to simulate this? Thanks so much!

5 replies
Chellescakes Posted 4 May 2012 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 6

You could use ribbon that had been stiffened with a little sugar and water.
You dissolve the sugar in some boiling water add the ribbon , wring it out and then let it dry in the shape you want.

Personally , I would just cover wires with black tape and bend into shape.

imagenthatnj Posted 4 May 2012 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 6

Maybe Cake Chester at flickr would tell you if you ask her?
She uses them over and over. I immediately thought of her when you posted the photo.


MsGF Posted 4 May 2012 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 6

There was a post about this a few days ago. I believe it is fake Bear Grass which can be purchased online at ebay in numerous colours.

Hope that helps. Take Care


imagenthatnj Posted 4 May 2012 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 6
CakeItOrLeaveItHon Posted 4 May 2012 , 3:01pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for all the help! I did a google search for artificial bear grass on cakes and I think that's definitely what it is. It apparently can be curled like ribbon. Since I need it tomorrow night, I called some local florists and surprisingly a lot of them carry it, both fresh and artificial. So I'm going to get a bunch of artificial tonight and hopefully it curls the way I want!

Quote by @%username% on %date%