Caved In Cupcakes? Help!

Baking By olliegrl Updated 7 May 2012 , 1:24am by olliegrl

olliegrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olliegrl Posted 3 May 2012 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 5

I baked chocolate (with melted baking chocolate) cupcakes everything seemed fine but when i baked them for 15 min, and took them out, they'd caved in in the middle icon_sad.gif

How can i fix this? i baked at 350. was the over too hot/cold?

4 replies
PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 4 May 2012 , 1:57am
post #2 of 5

You may have under baked them. Or your oven could be off. Do you have an oven thermometer?

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 4 May 2012 , 2:35am
post #3 of 5

You will have to re bake them. I always use cocoa powder instead of melted chocolate and I've never had a problem with caving.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 May 2012 , 6:19am
post #4 of 5

You can use real chocolate, not cocoa. I do this all the time.

First, what others posted is a factor. If they were standard size, 15 minutes may not have been enough. Coupled with the fact that almost all ovens are off in temp, this could be your downfall.

But there is one other possible culprit. I'm assuming that the recipe is scratch because of the chocolate. Every recipe is based on a certain % chocolate used by the author of the recipe. For example, I stock 60% chocolate all the time. One of my regular cakes uses 70%. I didn't have any and used the 60%. It sunk. I baked it again and it sunk again. Finally after researching, I found that even a slight change in % chocolate used can cause a recipe to fail by sinking. The farther off the %, the more sinking happens. The problems come when a recipe calls for chocolate and does not specify which kind. The recipe works for the author of the recipe, but without this information passed on, some recipes will sink.

Many recipes will work when changing out the chocolates, but if your recipe sinks after making it correctly, try using a higher % chocolate.

olliegrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olliegrl Posted 7 May 2012 , 1:24am
post #5 of 5

good to know! i'm pretty sure i used 60%, but nearly bought 70 at the store. i prefer to use melted chocolate opposed to cocoa powder cause i feel it gives a better flavor.

the cupcakes actually looked good until the last 2 minutes when i went to check them..they had caved in icon_sad.gif

and the pancake-like cupcakes were definitely done. they weren't liquid-y at all. so i'll try the higher chocolate and see how that works. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%