Will This Work For An Outdoor Wedding?

Decorating By and_then_there_was_cake Updated 4 May 2012 , 12:29am by BlakesCakes

and_then_there_was_cake Posted 3 May 2012 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 5

I just got a request to do this cake for an outdoor wedding in St. Louis in Sept.

The weather is always questionable in Sept here.
I use SMBC and do not do butter cream cakes for outdoor weddings.
I was thinking of doing the flowers out of royal icing though. Do you think that it could still melt from the butter cream underneath?
Anyone have any advise to pull this cake off or should I tell her it can't be done unless I use fondant?

4 replies
CWR41 Posted 3 May 2012 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 5

The entire outer cake surface is swirled roses... no, RI wouldn't melt unless it gets wet, but how is anyone going to get past the rock hard icing to get to the cake inside?

Just use BC, and if it's more than 85 degrees--bring the cake out (in the shade) no sooner than an hour before serving.

kakeladi Posted 3 May 2012 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 5

A good, tasty, crusting b'cream is your answer.
Definately do NOT use royal icon_sad.gif

rosech Posted 3 May 2012 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 5

RI flowers will be ok on BC.

BlakesCakes Posted 4 May 2012 , 12:29am
post #5 of 5

Ya know, that IS a BUTTERCREAM cake. It won't look nearly as nice with royal "roses" because they'll need to be pre-dried and they'll never all fit together as neatly when applied. They'll also be a mess when cutting.

Sometimes you just have to tell someone NO, it can't be done with the materials that I routinely use.

In this case, you could use a hi ratio shortening BC that would survive warm temps much longer than a meringue BC.

Why do you have to sweat it working properly and then be responsible for problems when the truth is, it's just not practical for an outdoor wedding in St, Louis in Sept.?????

Quote by @%username% on %date%