Can I Get Clarification?

Decorating By CiNoRi Updated 5 May 2012 , 6:55am by scp1127

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 3 May 2012 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 6

Soooo i'm trying to understand the whole stabilizing (for non-refrigeration) dairy based frostings and such. IS there a rule of thumb? I want to start playing with my favorite recipes to try to make them safe to be left out for decorating and im just unsure on where to start!

Any help is appreciated!

5 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 3 May 2012 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 6

You might try pm'ing scp1127 - - if anyone would know, she would.

CiNoRi Posted 3 May 2012 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 6

thanks!

CiNoRi Posted 3 May 2012 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 6

thanks!

sweetmelodee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmelodee Posted 3 May 2012 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 6

if you get any good suggestions from scp1127 let us know I could use some help on that subject too!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 5 May 2012 , 6:55am
post #6 of 6

I've bee off CC for a few days and just got her pm. I'll pst it here, but no, if you want to use the real thing, there will always be limitations. My post is more about how I handle the situation, since so many of my offerings are not stable.

Here's my reply:

That's one I can't answer. Someone might have seen a post about stabilizing whipped cream, but that's just to keep it from breaking down.

Very few of my recipes can actually be left out. But I just find a way around it. I have outside weddings this summer and I just tell the bride if she wants a scratch cake with real fillings, we have to let it make a grand entrance about a half hour before serving instead of it sitting all day.

For fondant cakes, I have to refrigerate. I get the condensation, but it does dry with no bad effects.

I can't even leave my German buttercreams out. I use so little powdered sugar in my cream cheese buttercream that I don't leave that out either.

Every customer has to get instructions on serving and storing my cakes.

I know this didn't answer your question, but this is how I do it. I never resort to anything artificial and that's the only way I know. For example, Boston Cream. The cake has to be refrigerated along with the cream, but the ganache has to be a nice consistency about 20 minutes oout of the refrigerator. I wish I could make one like the doughnuts, but the cream is fake. In the end, I find a balance, but it is challenging.

I always go to the egg board, dairy board, and any other official or .gov site to find my answers. It's all there. I just looked up strawberries and how to handle them. People ask safety questions on CC and some posters give information, but those sites are easy to navigate. Just google the question and go to the result that is from an official site.

Susan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%