Cake/party Theme (Long)

Decorating By debidehm Updated 18 May 2012 , 5:11am by debidehm

debidehm Posted 3 May 2012 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 8

A friend of mine asked me to do her brother's 50th birthday cake. I asked what his likes were, and she said his boat and his dogs. She then said you'll be getting your invite any day. I got the invite, and the theme of the party is Country/Western. You can even dress in western wear if you want to the party. So, based on the invitation, I call her back and ask if she wants the cake to go along with the theme, with his beloved dogs done in fondant wearing cowboy hats (like what's on the front of the invite). She says sure. I sketch the cake all out...bottom tier to be cow print, second tier to looks like blue jeans with his name on the belt buckle, and the top tier to have fringe with a sheriff's badge with 50 on, and the 2 dogs sitting on top. Looked cute to me. then I had her come over to check it out.

She loves it, but mentions his boat. I said that since the party theme was country, I thought that's what she wanted the cake to represent. Might add that she's getting the cake, and her brother's partner is throwing the party. She said she has no idea why he chose that theme, and that it is "stupid". To me, it would be like throwing someone a Little Princess themed party, but having a Vampire inspired cake!! Anyway, since she's the one ordering the cake, I have to go with her wishes. I re-sketched the cake for her. Now the idea is having the blue jean tier on the bottom (she likes the blue jean idea), second tier to have the boat (flat against the cake...) with light blue sky and clouds, and the top tier continuing the light blue sky with the dogs sitting on top.

I just don't know about the "flow" of the cake now. The blue jeans made sense on the original design, but not so much on the second one. I might also add that I think she's going away from the party theme to spite her brother's the feeling she's not too fond of him. I think she just wants to make sure the boat and dogs are on it. Does anyone have any ideas what might work better than the blue jean tier? Maybe one of those life rings? Please help!

7 replies
Lynne3 Posted 3 May 2012 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 8

I agree that the "jeans" don't really compliment the new "boaters" theme. I think I would stick with a nautical theme completely. Attached pics are not my cakes. They are simply ideas.

jgifford Posted 3 May 2012 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 8

What about the 2 dogs on a boat, on a pond, on a farm. You could do a rope border for the nautical theme or an old weathered looking fence around one tier to make it C & W.

jgifford Posted 3 May 2012 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 8

Oh, and be sure and put little bandannas on the dogs. thumbs_up.gif

j92383 Posted 3 May 2012 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 8

I might also add that I think she's going away from the party theme to spite her brother's the feeling she's not too fond of him.

If I were you I would do the cake and not go to the party. The last thing I would want is people asking me why I made a nautical cake for country western party.[/quote]

esangston Posted 3 May 2012 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 8

Don't you love it when you have to mesh random themes into a cake lol.

The cake doesn't always have to go with the theme of the party, the cake just has to go with the person. I've I'm always doing random elements together and the best trick is to find common ground.

I'm hoping it's a sailboat. If so you've got rope for a common element. You could give the whole cake a rope look either with fondant or buttercream (stack the rope borders). You have the blue jean bottom so put rope around it and bring the rope up, thru the belt loops then up to the next tier. You could even do the 2nd tier completely in rope. You could add a few little boats and anchors, or maybe one big boat cruising on "rope water" if your skilled like that lol.. Top it off with the dogs, and may even have rope in their mouth. Sounds crazy but I see it in my head and it could work. Just keep the colors all matte western colors and it will tie it together .

maybe you could do the blue jeans on the bottom and if you use a royal blue, you can make it kinda fade into ocean waves at the top. Basically do blue jeans with the zipper and belt then at the top do some gumpaste or fondant waves in the same color. Do the boat tier, then top that off With something that ties together the dogs and boat. Fade each tier into the other kinda.

If your confident in your cake sculpting. You could make the boat and the dogs sitting in the boat wearing cow boy hats.... And do the sails 1 in blue jean and one in bandana? Again I'm assuming its a sail boat lol.

These ideas are just a few of the ones i thought about... I can shell out more or elaborate on one if you need it. I have a pretty vivid imagination so I see things in my head and sometimes it's hard to explain them lol.

BakingIrene Posted 18 May 2012 , 3:23am
post #7 of 8

Try to ask the customer to accept several layer cakes but not tiered one on top of the other. This would take a really big board, but then you can mix and match the cakes. I think using rope to loosely connect them would work (sailors and cowboys both use rope).

The dogs can have a cake to themselves, the boat can sit on another cake, the "50" can be on another cake. and yet another with the blue jeans/buckle...Maybe 1 or 2 more cakes with more career or personal details? Sylvia Weinstock has pictures of a larger version of this mix and match in her second book.

debidehm Posted 18 May 2012 , 5:11am
post #8 of 8

Well I did the cake. I did the bottom tier to look like jeans (looked great), second tier to look like a life ring, and the top tier to look like water with the front of the boat coming out of the front of the cake (I asked for a picture of the boat and all they had was a pic of the front of it!) and the 2 dogs sitting on the top of the cake wearing orange life jackets each sitting on their own life ring. It turned out cute, but again, looked at of place at the party. Everyone loved it, and that's what matters, but oh how I wish I could have went with the original design! It would have been perfect! I tried to post a picture of the cake here, but it won't let me...keeps coming up "error" or something. Will keep trying though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%