Help!!!!! Asap Any Way To Make Sugar Jewels Without Molds?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 4 May 2012 , 2:53am by kileyscakes

kileyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kileyscakes Posted 3 May 2012 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 11

I have an order and my order for my jewel molds got screwed up so I won't have them in time is there any way to make them even if they are all just round? I was thinking of using my paint trays I use to dry flowers on since they are hard white plastic. I am totally freaking out now!
Thanks
Kiley

10 replies
Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 3 May 2012 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 11

Do you have tiny round, square, rectangle or oval fondant/cookie cutters? You could make some fondant/gum paste shapes, paint them in vibrant gem colors (such as emerald, saphire, pearl, opal, etc.), and attach them to the cake.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 3 May 2012 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 11

If you are near a craft store you can do two things. They have cutters in the clay section that are jewel shaped and you can use those. Or you can easily make your own molds with the amazing mold putty they sell in craft stores. Get a few plastic or glass jewels to make the mold from. Only takes about 20 minutes and they are ready to use.

You didn't say if they were chocolate, fondant/paste or hot sugar. Hot sugar might melt your plastic trays. But all of those mediums and be done in the molds from the putty and cutters.

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 3 May 2012 , 7:22pm
post #4 of 11

Craft stores also have candy molds in the shape of gems and such. I've eyeballed them a couple of times and they are only a couple of dollars. Good luck with it.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 May 2012 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 11

Pearl/luster dusts do a great job and gand molded fondant/gumpasts jewels.

Or, you can place a dozen or so jolly Ranchers in a Ziploc, then crack them with a hammer to see if you get any keepers...

kileyscakes Posted 3 May 2012 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 11

macsmom that idea might just work, also yes they are for poured sugar I don't live anywhere close to get any right now, I am going to try to just make circles using my paint trays and just see what happens I am desperate or is there anything I can just pour the sugar on and let dry and then break up?

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 3 May 2012 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 11

Can you use this old Wilton Recipe for Pulled Sugar:

3/4 cup water
3 cups granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
"Bring water to a boil, add dry ingredients and mix well. Cook quickly to 312 degrees washing batch down with a brush and warm water three times while cooking to eliminate crystals on side of pan. Do not stir while cooking. Remove from heat and pour on greased marble or porcelain or Formica or even a large cookie sheet. When batch reaches 312 degrees remove from heat and place pan in cold water for two minutes. Stir constantly to keep the candy from hardening on the sides of the pan.."
Then treat this as you would if you were making stained glass windows for ginger bread house.
Pour candy on surface lightly coated with shortening or spray some non -stick spray. Let set then use if you have a glass cutter or before it completely set up, use a knife to cut tiny squares.

kileyscakes Posted 4 May 2012 , 12:27am
post #8 of 11

well if anyone is interested in the end result, I ended up trying the paint tray/pallets that are circle I use to dry my sugar flowers on and it worked perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!! They will be all round but hey its better than nothing!!!
thanks for all the suggestions though!

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 4 May 2012 , 12:59am
post #9 of 11

Not sure what kind of jewels you want to make but you may want to take a look at this video:

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 4 May 2012 , 1:17am
post #10 of 11

Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that she needed a jewel for a princess crown.
She said she grabbed some Jolly Rancher hard candies, microwaved them for a few seconds and was able to create jewels out of the candy, by pressing them onto shape.
I thought it was a cleaver idea if you are in a bind.

HTH

kileyscakes Posted 4 May 2012 , 2:53am
post #11 of 11

well if anyone is interested in the end result, I ended up trying the paint tray/pallets that are circle I use to dry my sugar flowers on and it worked perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!! They will be all round but hey its better than nothing!!!
thanks for all the suggestions though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%