Best Homemade Gumpaste Recipe?

Baking By ChiWOWa Updated 8 May 2014 , 4:51pm by tracie42

ChiWOWa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiWOWa Posted 3 May 2012 , 5:30am
post #1 of 24

Hi all,
I am keen to try making my own gumpaste and would like to know if anyone has a "tried and tested and I love it" recipe using TYLOSE?
I do not want to just add Tylose to fondant.
Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Terry

23 replies
malou1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malou1021 Posted 3 May 2012 , 6:15am
post #2 of 24

Hi! I've always just bought Wilton's Gum-Tex and followed the direction from the can. I like it just fine. To be honest I don't even know what store bough gumpaste taste like cause I've always made my own. Not crazy about the smell or taste though. It smells like vinegar to me. If there was another recipe I would love to it too.

ChiWOWa Posted 3 May 2012 , 6:49am
post #3 of 24

Thanks for your reply Malou, Unfortunatley I live in New Zealand and cannot get the Wilton GumTex but I have bought some Tylose icon_smile.gif
I have done almost no cake decorating so its all new to me but I really want to try making gumpaste flowers icon_biggrin.gif
I have the "international School of Sugarcraf" book and it says that correctly rolled gumpaste should be so thin that it is almost transparent. I certainly cannot get fondant that thin! There is a recipe for gumpaste in the book, but it contains gum tragacanth and I have not been able to source any locally.

elisaber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elisaber Posted 3 May 2012 , 9:29am
post #4 of 24

I don't know if this is *the best* recipe, but I just use my regular sugarpaste recipe and add some tylose to it - not after it's finished, but while mixing in the icing sugar. If memory serves I use about the same ratio as I would if I added the tylose into the finished product - about 1 tsp pr pound of sugarpaste. Then leave to rest. Works very nicely for me.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 3 May 2012 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 24

I like Linda McClure's gumpaste, and there is a YouTube 3-part demo with recipe, first part here

I also like Nicholas Lodge's recipe, which is basically royal icing taken to soft peak with tylose kneaded in. You can Google the recipe and instructions. I prefer Nic's for delicate flowers and Linda's for everything else - hers is a bit firmer.

If you guys don't have corn syrup, you can sub glucose in Linda's recipe.

dchinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchinda Posted 3 May 2012 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 24

I used to buy Wilton's gumpaste & mix it with my homemade fondant but it smells & tastes horrible. Now I just add tylose to my homemade fondant & it tastes delicious. I usually add about 1-2 tsp per fist sized fondant depending on how quickly you would like the finished product to dry.

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 3 May 2012 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 24

I use Nicholas Lodge recipe. Video on Youtube by Edna de la Cruz. Quality is affected by icing sugar brand. I mix with fondant depending on stiffness and what I will be working on.

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 3 May 2012 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 24

What all my gumpaste research has found:

When it comes to tylose, and the various gums, I've read somewhere that they are almost interchangeable but I don't remember the ratios that give the same results. I haven't branched down the path of homemade gumpaste yet but most of the recipes I've found are pretty much the same 2 different recipes cept they vary on their gum/tylose ingredient or they don't require either of those 2 at all. I've even seen where you can make gumpaste using denture powder. It's main ing is the same as one of the many gums they have out there and cause the denture powder is lacking the Wilton logo, it's alot cheaper. It is also food safe as people put it in their mouth for hours at a time. If you make your fondant using the corn syrup no marshmallow method and add the proper gum amt, you are essentially making gumpaste. If it helps out, while searching for a gumpaste recipe to try, I ran across quite a few sites where people made gumpaste without one of the gums or tylose.

I think gumpaste is one of those trial and error things as most things are in cake decorating. Everyone has. Method that works for them and other methods that don't. Sit down one day and make a small batch of each recipe you find alot of people use and see what works best for you. That's my plan for my month I'm taking off from cakes lol. We are calling it cake education month lol.

Good luck

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 May 2012 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 24

Actually, Wilton' GumTex is NOT a 'real' gumpasteicon_sad.gif
One is *FAR better off* using Nic Lodge's recipe. It is really simple - just make a good royal icing and add Tylose to it.
I know he goes into much detail on how to make up the royal icing that kept me from making it for the longest time but when I was teaching Wilton I always had royal icing that I had to demonstrate for students and I hated throwing it out. One day I decided to add the Tylose to see what happened and WOW! it was the *BEST* gp evericon_smile.gif
I challenge those using the Wilton stuff to try one batch of Lodge's and compare the difference. They will never go back to that Wilton stuff.
Once you use Nic's you will see how easy it is to roll it sooooooo very thin!
BTW: perfect gp should feel soft & supple like well chewed gumicon_smile.gif If it is dry or spongy it is not right.

rosech Posted 3 May 2012 , 10:42pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Actually, Wilton' GumTex is NOT a 'real' gumpasteicon_sad.gif
One is *FAR better off* using Nic Lodge's recipe. It is really simple - just make a good royal icing and add Tylose to it.
I know he goes into much detail on how to make up the royal icing that kept me from making it for the longest time but when I was teaching Wilton I always had royal icing that I had to demonstrate for students and I hated throwing it out. One day I decided to add the Tylose to see what happened and WOW! it was the *BEST* gp evericon_smile.gif
I challenge those using the Wilton stuff to try one batch of Lodge's and compare the difference. They will never go back to that Wilton stuff.
Once you use Nic's you will see how easy it is to roll it sooooooo very thin!
BTW: perfect gp should feel soft & supple like well chewed gumicon_smile.gif If it is dry or spongy it is not right.

La la la la la, sing a happy song! Now I know what to do with leftover RI! I love you!

ChiWOWa Posted 3 May 2012 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 24

Thank you all so much for the very helpful replies.
I think I will try the Nicholas Lodge recipe.....my only problem is that I have NO idea what "10x powdered sugar" is! The only "icing sugar" available to me is store bought icing sugar that has a little cornflour in it. Can I use this? icon_sad.gif

rosech Posted 4 May 2012 , 4:57am
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiWOWa

Thank you all so much for the very helpful replies.
I think I will try the Nicholas Lodge recipe.....my only problem is that I have NO idea what "10x powdered sugar" is! The only "icing sugar" available to me is store bought icing sugar that has a little cornflour in it. Can I use this? icon_sad.gif

That is what I use.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 4 May 2012 , 5:27am
post #13 of 24

I was using Satin Ice gumpaste until I took a Petalsweet class - so now here's another vote for Nicholas Lodge's recipe. HUGE difference.

ChiWOWa Posted 4 May 2012 , 5:59am
post #14 of 24

Well the first batch of NL Gumpaste is sitting "maturing" for 24 hours......it feels like forever! icon_cry.gif

I do not have a Kitchen Aid or anything, so it was made by hand and boy, do I feel like I have had a workout lol. Should be great for toning the arms icon_biggrin.gif

Next on the "to do list" is Royal Icing....and trying to figure out what to do with all those egg yolks.... icon_rolleyes.gif

I will let you all know how the gumpaste turns out.
Thanks again for all the help
Cheers
Terry

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 May 2012 , 10:13pm
post #15 of 24

what one does w/"all those yolks" is make 12 yolk cookies. I no longer have the recipe (ALL my recipes were lost in the mailicon_sad.gif ).......but it is on the interneticon_smile.gif
OR feed them to the dog.....gives their coat shine.
OR feed them to the garbarageicon_smile.gif

ChiWOWa Posted 6 May 2012 , 7:05am
post #16 of 24

LOL Kakeladi, I have never heard of "12 yolk cookies" but I think I need to google that recipe...it seems that cake decorating uses a lot of egg white, and I need to do something useful with the yolks!

Well the NL Gumpaste is ready to use. I have made a few roses and the results are great! I did have to add additional icing sugar after kneading as it was a bit sticky. I think my arms gave out when I made it as I had quite a lot of icing sugar left over icon_redface.gif \\
I managed to roll the paste much thinner than my last attempt using Satin Ice fondant with Tylose added. I am actually quite proud of my first attempt icon_biggrin.gif
DH says they are "a work of art" but he's biased lol
Thanks again for all the help

ozgirl42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozgirl42 Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 4:39am
post #17 of 24

You can also use meringue powder instead of egg whites to make the royal icing or even use a royal icing commercial powder mix. I got sick of having so many left over egg yolks, that is the route I have taken now. It hasn't made a discernible difference in the way the end product behaves, unlike the difference you can see when you're piping designs or doing string and extension work.

Flutterbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flutterbug Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 3:43pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiWOWa

Hi all,
I am keen to try making my own gumpaste and would like to know if anyone has a "tried and tested and I love it" recipe using TYLOSE?
I do not want to just add Tylose to fondant.
Many thanks in advance
Cheers
Terry

elaine16 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elaine16 Posted 16 Aug 2013 , 3:10pm
post #19 of 24

Is this gumpaste safe to eat cos i'm making sunflower flowers and i'm sure one of the kids will want to eat one. Just worries me cos of making it with raw egg white!

angelofhislove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelofhislove Posted 25 Sep 2013 , 4:13pm
post #20 of 24

Kakeladi, What is the ratio for tylos to RI?? I always have a lot of RI left and I too hate to toss it.

buddycarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buddycarol Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 8:26pm
post #21 of 24

AThe very best is Nicholas Lodge recipe....I have used his for years and it is so easy to work with.....very easy to make

Bethalmquist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethalmquist Posted 8 May 2014 , 4:07pm
post #22 of 24

AAfter you roll out the gum paste, roll it out about 4 times in a pasta roller. I use a hand crank.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 8 May 2014 , 4:35pm
post #23 of 24

Okay, how did this thread pop up by itself? Creepy :-?

tracie42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracie42 Posted 8 May 2014 , 4:51pm
post #24 of 24

I use Linda McClure's recipe. It requires a little work but I like it and it can be rolled paper thin without any problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%