Getting In Practice

Decorating By citygirldesserts Updated 3 May 2012 , 2:12am by Apti

citygirldesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
citygirldesserts Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 6

I have done several special occasion cakes (fondant and buttercream) but never a wedding cake (besides the time at school). My question is how do you practice making a wedding cake? Meaning if you make a three tier cake what do you do with it? I have used dummy cakes but i want to make a real one.

5 replies
TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 6

You could always donate it to a shelter. They will provide you a receipt for tax purposes if you so desire.

Jenise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenise Posted 2 May 2012 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 6

There are all kinds of people that appreciate a cake. My local fire department loves me (i'm an emt) always taking cake there, then the police department, homeless shelter, senior center etc. I love showing up with a cake, they always seem so happy to see me.

citygirldesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
citygirldesserts Posted 2 May 2012 , 7:32pm
post #4 of 6

thanks ladies...should i assume you guys called ahead?

TheSweetTreat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetTreat Posted 3 May 2012 , 1:35am
post #5 of 6

Yes, I did call ahead because I was concerned with offering cake that was made in my home kitchen that's not approved by the health dept. I'm not a business. But they said that's not a concern of theirs and they would love to have what I've made. I recently took a dozen cupcakes over and felt really good about it. I made my cake and icing and tested out some things and then I was able to give to people less fortunate. The cupcakes tasted great! So I highly recommend donating.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 May 2012 , 2:12am
post #6 of 6

If you know anyone who has a friend or relative in a Convalescent Home, you could ask about donating a large cake to the staff at the facility. (You cannot donate to the patients because of dietary restrictions.) Of course, you would need the individual to contact the head of the Convalescent Home first, but I'm sure they would be happy to receive a cake.

Convalescent Homes typically have very large staff, and 3 shifts that work 24 hours a day. Large cakes are REALLY appreciated. This is a great place for practice cakes that serve 40-200 people. It will not go to waste!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%