Is It Not Ok To Fill And Frost A Cake In Buttercream?

Decorating By Donny13 Updated 3 May 2012 , 7:38pm by chasingmytail

Donny13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donny13 Posted 2 May 2012 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 8

Im making a two tier slot machine inspired cake, the birthday boy loves chocolate, both tiers will be chocolate, i always use boxed cake (your thoughts). I plan to fill the cakes and coat them with butterceam (the butter & shortening recipie version) then it will be covered in fondant, do you think its overkill to use the buttercream for both? I just think there is soooo much chocolate, plus i dont want to mix any fruit filling or crazy stuff cuz i dont know who will have allergies? Plus i think this is the safest option just in case she wants to display the cake (how long can this be left out?). Any thoughts suggestions comments etc. are more than welcome!

Thanx for reading

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 8

I see no problem with using buttercream for the filling. I do it all the time. The only problem with displaying the cake would be if it were an outdoor affair - the heat might make the buttercream go soft. On the other hand, buttercream cakes last for days - no problem with the filling going bad.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

buttercream cakes last for days - no problem with the filling going bad.

My thought exactly. I prefer buttercream for this reason. Sometimes I use a vanilla for the filling so it has a nice visual contrast.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 2 May 2012 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 8

A vanilla what, Mimi?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 8

B'cream iced cakes filled w/b'cream are done all the timeicon_smile.gif There is *nothing* wrong w/mixing some fruit jam into b'cream for a little flavor boost......uuummm raspberry! is so super good w/chocolate cakeicon_smile.gif

Using a 'plain' vanilla b'cream is good too. Add a bit more vanilla (1/2 teaspoon per cup) into your b;cream and it will really perk up the taste buds.

It's up to the person ordering the cake to be aware of allergies. You should not be overly concerned. You offer/mention what you have available, they can always say NO because.....
If you never offer something different ('crazy'?) how will customers know you can do it?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

A vanilla what, Mimi?

sorry... Vanilla Buttercream!

Donny13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donny13 Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:23pm
post #7 of 8

I really love the suggestion about the rasberry jam and extra vanilla, that sounds yummy! thank you guys for making me feel better about using this, it really takes a load off!

chasingmytail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasingmytail Posted 3 May 2012 , 7:38pm
post #8 of 8

Yes, I agree, buttercream alone can be yuk and very sickily and the addition of jam would be a winner. I love granche as I find the covering smoother plus it not too sweet which imo can spoil a cake. White choc granche is an option to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%