Has Anyone Purchased Sugar Flowers Pre-Made?

Decorating By dmo4ab Updated 3 May 2012 , 1:29am by quietude

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 2 May 2012 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 10

I found this site that sells pre-made sugar flowers. Has anyone purchased these or similar ones? It seems like a lazy way out, but the price seems reasonable compared to the work to make them, and I'm just a hobby baker with limited time! Plus, I've never made them before.

Do you think they could be airbrushed to change the color? I'm particularly looking at the calla lillies for cake later this year. I want them to be orange, but they only sell white.

http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_sresults.html

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 May 2012 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 10

I pretty much purchase all my flowers. When I was caking full time I didn't have time to sit and do fiddly work like that. However, I buy from www.avalondeco.com. I still have cases and cases of white flowers. I could airbrush as needed any color I wanted.

dmo4ab Posted 2 May 2012 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you Leah. I'm sure I could make them, but considereing the amount of time it will take me to learn, plus having to purchase cutters or molds, I agree with you. It's worth it to purchase them

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 10

Yes, they are a good company. Nothing wrong w/using pre-made flowersicon_smile.gif

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:47pm
post #5 of 10

What do you say to people who ask if you made the flowers by hand?

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 2 May 2012 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 10

In the past few years, I started playing around with making gumpaste flowers. Before that, yes I've ordered gumpaste flowers from that company. I still have some flowers left that I play with. Yes, they can be airbrushed, hand painted with lemon extract and petal dust or non-toxic pastel chalk. Here is a picture I recently posted of the flowers, the pink and purple roses I made, the rest came Cake Deco:

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2295829/pink-and-purple-rose-spray
Oder the flowers and don't look back, it's a lot of work making flower sprays, I tried that too!

dmo4ab Posted 3 May 2012 , 12:34am
post #7 of 10

Do you purchase the with the wire, or without?

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 3 May 2012 , 1:06am
post #8 of 10

I make some of mine, but I get most of them from WholesaleSugarFlowers.com. I get them with the wire when possible. They paint up just fine. No one has ever asked me if I make them myself, but I wouldn't lie about it.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 3 May 2012 , 1:12am
post #9 of 10

Depending on what I'm making, I have order the ones with the wires if I'm making a spray or twisting a few together for filler flowers between large flowers. I've also order flowers without wires to just stick directly on cakes as well. If they have wires I use coffee stirrers, Wilton flower spikes or straws to attach to cakes so the wires never touch the cake. HTH

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 3 May 2012 , 1:29am
post #10 of 10

Thanks for that site Cupadeecakes, they have good prices icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%