Strawberries 'n Whip Cream As Filling Under Fondant???

Decorating By a_twist_of_cake Updated 27 Jun 2012 , 3:01pm by ofarrell62

a_twist_of_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
a_twist_of_cake Posted 2 May 2012 , 3:34am
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to do a strawberry shortcake with a strawberries and whipped cream filling as a wedding cake that is to be covered in fondant. I have heard that fresh strawberries can go moldy in between cake layers that aren't consumed the same day....? Is this true? Is it possible to do this cake? If not, what can I suggestion to the bride instead?? Thanks! PS...the wedding is June 23rd and may be a hot/humid day here in Guelph, Ont. Canada.

4 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 May 2012 , 5:34am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_twist_of_cake

I have been asked to do a strawberry shortcake with a strawberries and whipped cream filling as a wedding cake that is to be covered in fondant. I have heard that fresh strawberries can go moldy in between cake layers that aren't consumed the same day....? Is this true? Is it possible to do this cake? If not, what can I suggestion to the bride instead?? Thanks! PS...the wedding is June 23rd and may be a hot/humid day here in Guelph, Ont. Canada.

I don't use fresh fruit very often, but if I did, I personally would not use it under fondant because the cake should be refrigerated. (Yes....I know you can refrigerate fondant, but I prefer not to do so.)

Second, if you put fondant on a stabilized whipped cream frosting like Pastry Pride (or Rich's Bettercreme) it will cause the fondant to become a sticky, gooey, icky mess and the colors will bleed. Basically, it's hideous.

Just because someone says they want to build a second story with a jacuzzi on a single wide trailer doesn't mean it's gonna work or look nice.

I'd suggest you tell the bride she has some choices to make. Whipped cream frosting with fresh fruit which will require refrigeration and which MUST be inside an air-conditioned room after being in a refrigerator; OR a cake that will be able to withstand a "hot/humid day here in Guelph".

citygirldesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
citygirldesserts Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:53pm
post #3 of 5

i just did my friends cake like that...i used fresh strawberries mixed in with preserves and covered in fondant and refrigerated the cake. Wrapped caked in fondant on Saturday to deliver cake Sunday...it tasted great.

elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 5

I make whipped cream w/fresh strawberry often, I use Pastry Pride as my whipped cream. However only for the filling, not for the crumb coat or directly under fondant, and of course a thick dam of buttercream. (for timing purposes, I do this 1 day prior, and keep in the fridge). I have finished a cake the night before pick-up and have had no issues with molding.

I also feel the need to say this, fresh fruit releases juices after slicing. Therefore I always mix in a bit of jam/jelly to my fresh berries and let rest so that all the juices can be released; then add to my filling. HTH icon_smile.gif

ofarrell62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ofarrell62 Posted 27 Jun 2012 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 5

I have just joined this site, was hoping someone could share their strawberry shortcake recipe, I will be covering it with fondant, Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%