Cream Cheese Icing Under Fondant?

Decorating By jena2727 Updated 2 May 2012 , 6:11am by scp1127

jena2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jena2727 Posted 1 May 2012 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 6

Do any of you ever use a cream cheese icing under your fondant? I have a client ordering a Nintendo grooms cake and she requested Red Velvet, one would assume cream cheese for icing but I haven't talked to her about it yet because I wanted to be sure it would be ok to use. With something like this I would be finish it the night before. Since the cake will be covered in fondant, as far as I know refrigeration is not a good idea. Is there a cream cheese frosting that can sit out under fondant? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Or should I just tell her it will have to be buttercream or if there is another flavor anyone feels would be well suited?

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 May 2012 , 12:21pm
post #2 of 6

You can refrigerate fondant. I'd use the cream cheese as the filing, then put regular buttercream on the outside of the cake under the fondant.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 1 May 2012 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 6

I've iced the whole cake in cream cheese frosting and it was perfect!! Again, it might depend on your recipe. Do not under any circumstance use the cream cheese flavoring--it's just nasty...
I also refrigerate my fondant without problems, but it's usually not real humid here in Minnesota. Now Florida might be a different story!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 May 2012 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 6

Earlene Moore has a cream cheese recipe on her site. I have made it for wedding cakes. It is not the original cream cheese recipe, but taste good, but not as good the original recipe!!! Also , this recipe is on this site also. Why don,t you look at the recipe and try it, to see if you like it. A lot of decorators on this site use it, before applying the fondant. Leah_s mentioned this today on another thread on preventing the buldge on your cakes. hth

sweetmelodee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmelodee Posted 1 May 2012 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 6

I just made a wedding cake for a class I put a chocolate cream cheese frosting in the middle and regular butter cream under the fondant and it worked wonderfully. I let it sit out for grading by the time I got to taste it the cream cheese frosting had gone sour (my bad) but it was a hit and people loved it. Good luck!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:11am
post #6 of 6

I have always used a full amount of cream cheese buttercream under fondant. It's a real pain on a square cake. You have to work fast because it gets soft quickly (I cover it cold) and squares take more adjustments.

BUT... I really think I'm going to start saving myself some grief and do it like costumeczar suggested in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%