My Sponge Cake Is Crumbly.

Baking By boxerbabe Updated 3 May 2012 , 5:18am by mcsprinkles

boxerbabe Posted 1 May 2012 , 12:48am
post #1 of 6

Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong.My sponge cake is allways dry and crumbly. Please I'm open to sugestions. Maybe it's my recipy? Any extraordany ordanary vanilla cake recipes?

5 replies
mcsprinkles Posted 1 May 2012 , 1:37am
post #2 of 6

It is so disappointing when you bake a cake and it fails! I have just bought a book called "Ratio" by Michael Rhulman and made my first butter cake yesterday using the ratio method which was perfect. I would check that your recipe has the appropriate amount of butter, flour, sugar and eggs in the right ratios (approx 1:1:1:1 by weight) and that you are mixing it in the right order and enough. If it is dry it may not have enough egg. Is it a box or a scratch? Also are you baking it too long? Might be an idea to post the recipe and comment on the methods you use?

auzzi Posted 1 May 2012 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 6

What type of sponge cake ? whisked, genoise, victoria, hot water ?

Tails Posted 2 May 2012 , 9:03am
post #4 of 6

Whats the recipe?

boxerbabe Posted 3 May 2012 , 1:05am
post #5 of 6

My recipe's nothing special it came right out of a 1950's Better Homes and Gardens cook book. "Butter Sponge". 1c. cake flour,1tsp.baking powder,1/2c.milk 1/4c. butter, 6 egg yolks 1/2c. sugar vanilla. beat yolks and sugar until lemon colored add sifted flour/baking powder mixture altranating with warmed up milk and melted butter. Bake in 9x9x2" pan 30 to 35 minutes.
Thank you, I appereaciate the coments.

mcsprinkles Posted 3 May 2012 , 5:18am
post #6 of 6

Hey Boxerbabe, I would weigh all the ingredients that you list and make sure the ratio of flour, butter, eggs +milk and sugar are approximately 1:1 as I talked about above.And adjust the recipe accordingly. If you cream the yolks and sugar until they increase by about 1/3 in volume then make sure all the other ingredients are whisked in well to keep the mix aerated then you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure you let us know how it went!

Quote by @%username% on %date%