New To Cake Biz Need Urgent Help With Serving 10" &

Decorating By ImSweetOnU Updated 30 Apr 2012 , 4:41pm by reginaherrin

ImSweetOnU Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 8:42am
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone I am new to the cake biz and I have just got 10 orders in recently the last week. I'm so excited but nervous!!!

My first question is I see according to the Wilton Party Cake says
3in deep round pans a 10" and a 12" cake would give a total of 68 servings.

Here is where I am getting confused...are these charts broken down by 1 layer of 3 in deep of a 10 and 12?
I don't know if this sounds stupid but many websites are confusing me. Some are telling me a 2 layer, 3 layer, 4 layer.

So I'm guessing I would just bake (1) 3in deep round 10" pan and same for the 12" NOT make 2 of each pan correct?

And if I did 2 of each pan then it basically doubles the amount right?

And if it doubles the amount how do they cut it?

Lastly this first cake is for a birthday party in a home, I am guessing they are going to cut the cake like a pie and provide wedges. I was going to print something out to show them this equals 68 slices and heres how.

BUT my last question is I know the Wedding and Party Standard Wilton gives but don't most people at a "home" party don't they expect slices then a "hall" would cut?

Does anyone recommend doing it larger to give more to the person?

She told me 45-50 people but I figured let us use the 10 & 12 (hoping it's only 1 layer and I'll just use my cake leveler to make layers for filling) cause this said 68 servings.

Sorry for the million questions just want to make sure I'm right when quoting a price to her.

Lastly after reading all this, do you recommend I bake 2 of each size and do a 4 layer or leave it at 1 of each pan and cut in half for filling so the 3 in deep would look like a 2 layer cake when I cut it in half.

PS - I asked my wilton instructor for help and I haven't been able to get answers.

2 replies
CWR41 Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImSweetOnU

Here is where I am getting confused...are these charts broken down by 1 layer of 3 in deep of a 10 and 12?

Yes, the chart says "1 layer".

Quote:

So I'm guessing I would just bake (1) 3in deep round 10" pan and same for the 12" NOT make 2 of each pan correct?

Correct.

Quote:

And if I did 2 of each pan then it basically doubles the amount right?

Not necessarily. The chart says "Serving amounts are based on party-sized portions of approximately 1.5 x 2 in. Cakes from 3 to 6 in. high, baked in the same size pan, would yield the same number of servings because they follow the same pattern of cutting. Cakes shorter than 3 in. would yield half the number of servings indicated for that pan. Number of servings are intended as a guide only."
If it's cut as one cake, this is true. If you use a board in the middle at 3", and cut as two separate cakes, it serves double.

Quote:

And if it doubles the amount how do they cut it?

As two separate cakes, 1.5 x 2 x 3 inch servings.

Quote:

Lastly this first cake is for a birthday party in a home, I am guessing they are going to cut the cake like a pie and provide wedges. I was going to print something out to show them this equals 68 slices and heres how.

That's great to provide a cutting guide to prevent them from cutting 12 pie-shaped wedges.

Quote:

BUT my last question is I know the Wedding and Party Standard Wilton gives but don't most people at a "home" party don't they expect slices then a "hall" would cut?

If they want larger slices, they can order a larger cake.

Quote:

Does anyone recommend doing it larger to give more to the person?

You're already giving away too much free cake, if you're using any chart other than the Wilton industry standard wedding cake chart of 8 cu. in. servings.

Quote:

She told me 45-50 people but I figured let us use the 10 & 12 (hoping it's only 1 layer and I'll just use my cake leveler to make layers for filling) cause this said 68 servings.

A 10" is way too big for a top tier (if these cakes will be stacked). A 12" and 8" would look better, yet it still serves 10 more than they're asking for.

Quote:

Lastly after reading all this, do you recommend I bake 2 of each size and do a 4 layer or leave it at 1 of each pan and cut in half for filling so the 3 in deep would look like a 2 layer cake when I cut it in half.

Leave it at one of each pan... that provides more than enough cake. Ideally, 2" pans would be best so you can bake typical layer cakes with two 2" tall layers.

reginaherrin Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 3

I agree with everything the previous poster said. Here is a link to a website that can calulate the amount of servings using wiltons chart, I use it all the time and love it, http://shinymetalobjects.net/cake/calculator/cakulator.cgi. If you see the serving amount for the 2" pans in a 10" and 12" are the same in the 3" pans. I only use 2" pans and bake 2 pans per tier to give me a 4" high cake. For that amount of people you would only need an 8" and 10". Don't give away free cake. If people tell you it looks too small tell them you use the standard cake serving guide and it will feed the amount of people it needs. I get that often and it drives me crazy, people are just used to cutting these giant pieces and are more used to grocery store cakes which not as high as bakery cakes. If they still think it is too small then they can pay more and order a bigger cake (which most people won't). Also, I don't ever recommend doing the top tier bigger then an 8" (which is still on the boarder of being too big) just because it will look weird and stumpy. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%