Is This Standard?

Business By pandj04 Updated 8 May 2012 , 3:47am by indydebi

pandj04 Posted 29 Apr 2012 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 11

I have a request from a friend to make her wedding cake. It's going to be three-tier cake with all buttercream and fake flower accents. She wants me to give her a "grocery list" so she can purchase the ingredients. Is this standard? Have you ever let someone do that and then just charged them for your time?

10 replies
cubbycakes Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 12:06am
post #2 of 11

Seems strange. I would think if you are just having her pay for cost of ingredients and she cant take your word for what she owes you then you would be better off going and getting what you need yourself, incase they don't have exactly what you need and you can figure out substitutes etc. Then you can just give her all the receipts when your done with a total.

Cakery2012 Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 12:37am
post #3 of 11

Did you ask her why ? sounds like she is trying to take control and so she can pay you less.
There are a couple other posts on here about the same thing .It was a nightmare for the baker.

vgcea Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 6:48am
post #4 of 11

No way.

vgcea Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 6:48am
post #5 of 11

No way.

akaivyleaf Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 11:59am
post #6 of 11

I wouldn't be interested in doing this... For starters, my recipes (and ingredients) are proprietary. Secondly I buy most of my ingredients in bulk. Other items, I only buy certain brands etc. Too much work for someone who isn't in the industry, and understands about these things, to do. If she didn't like my polite decline of her suggestion, I'd invite her to find a different baker.

jgifford Posted 30 Apr 2012 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 11

"Well, you know I'm on a budget so I have to be careful that you don't add anything to the cart at the checkout. Oh, and I couldn' t find baking powder so I just got baking soda instead. That's ok, isn't it? I mean, they're practically the same thing. And I found these big plastic mums on sale. Since my colors are mint green and strawberry, I figured the orange and puce would go with them."
If anything, let her go with you to buy the ingredients and decorating supplies, just so she can write the check. Do NOT turn her loose with a list.

johnson6ofus Posted 2 May 2012 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 11

Friend may be genuinely trying to help (doing the shopping for you)... I get that... BUT...

Probably, "friend" is no "friend" at all and is worried you might keep an extra egg or part of the flour? Sounds like she doesn't believe what products actually go it there. I would say, "Products cost me about $XXX and it will take me XX hours, and I will get $xxx for labor, applying the "friends discount of $XXX. (This details ONLY for friends...). If that is not in your budget, I understand...."

Then RUN, RUN, RUN... I don't really believe it will end well... sorry

kakeladi Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 11

What jgifford said! icon_smile.gif

Denise Posted 7 May 2012 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 11

oohhhhh jeeeeezzzz ..... I like to get my own ingredients and would politely decline or just tell her you already have everything on hand to make said cake. She may just be trying to help as others have said or she may be a total control freak and we all know folks like that!

If you are uncomfortable with her purchasing anything simply say so. IF she is uncomfortable with your uncomfortableness...she can get another baker. icon_twisted.gif

indydebi Posted 8 May 2012 , 3:47am
post #11 of 11

If that is the payment agreement you have with her, then this method has been often recommended on this site: Give them the list and let them do all of the legwork, use THEIR gas and their time. But ......!

if you go that route, be sure you emphasize "NO SUBSTITUTIONS" on the list. Give them the name of the store where they will find things and NO SUBSTITUTIONS. If they walk in with, using the example above, "I couldn't find baking powder but here's baking soda......." Just hand her the soda and say, "Well, here your soda and when you bring me the b.powder, I'll be able to do your cake. Until then ........?"

But if you said nothing to her about "you buy the stuff and I'll make it", then that needs cleared up right away and up front. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%